Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! Been on the internet now for a few months now trying to find a duramax. Just recently sold an lbz which i really liked but looking to get into maybe an lml and something newer. I have to do something pretty quick because I'm without a vehicle now, and not to mention I'm driving my wife crazy. She says "just get whatever you want and be done with it." If it were only that easy. I am just a little bit particular about my vehicles if you know what i mean! And i have a hard time spending that much money on a vehicle in the first place. I just can't get over what these used trucks are bringing.

Here's the deal. My wife works at a gmc dealership and can get a new one for what most people are asking for a used truck with 40k miles. Those that have the 2015's, what is your opinion of them? I see that these trucks have their problems like any other duramax, or diesel for that matter. What do you think? How many have had lml's without trouble? Should i get a new one, used lml, or go back to the preemission trucks? Please help.

BTW: I would order a truck if i decide on a new one, and the dealership will provide us with another vehicle until the new one arrives. So that's a plus!

Thanks for your help in adavance!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've even considered the 1500 with the 6.2 but I don't know if I would ever be happy with a gas again. Also that new 8 speed auto has me hesitant as well. I dont have anything real heavy to pull in the first place so I guess its fair to say that the diesel is more of a want than a need.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Just buy a new duramax 😝

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I feel you'll get better mileage with a diesel compared to the 6.2 gas hog.
As far a problems with a 2015 personally I don't read the 2011+ LML forum, this is something you'll need to do.
The great thing about a diesel besides just wanting one is the HP and torque if you ever tow you'll have it.
And since your wife works for a GM dealer, your one large step above a lot of people, go for it and get a new Dmax Diesel

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel you'll get better mileage with a diesel compared to the 6.2 gas hog.
As far a problems with a 2015 personally I don't read the 2011+ LML forum, this is something you'll need to do.
The great thing about a diesel besides just wanting one is the HP and torque if you ever tow you'll have it.
And since your wife works for a GM dealer, your one large step above a lot of people, go for it and get a Diesel
Thanks! I am leaning toward a new one. Just relying on everyone elses expertise.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Id buy a new truck. No way would I get a used truck if I could afford a new truck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My opinion is buy used. New trucks are crazy expensive.
I got my 2013 with 21,000 miles some $16k off what the PO new owner paid.
If your discount is that good or money is no option, new is cool.
Used, the savings always make sense to me.
Of course, the truck needs to check out as pretty clean.
There no free lunch. New is expensive. Used is a lot less so.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
New Duramax for the price of a used one with 40k?

Seems like an easy decision to me lol, but then again if you don't tow much or really need a diesel, might as well save $15k and buy a half ton with the 6.2L.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New Duramax for the price of a used one with 40k?

Seems like an easy decision to me lol, but then again if you don't tow much or really need a diesel, might as well save $15k and buy a half ton with the 6.2L.
From what I've seen with the 2015 LML with 20k plus miles is in excess of $53k. If you look at the 13's and 14's with a few miles, they are bringing $46k-$50k. That's all over what i can get a new one for. This has been my experience looking at trucks over the past couple of months. You never really know what your getting in a used truck anyways, just my opinion. I am kind of leaning towards a new one. Now if I could land a late model, low low mileage lml in the low $40k range, that would be a different story.

I also priced a 6.2 today out of curiosity. It had the slt trim package with the max tow, and it was about about $7k cheaper.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Guy at work running the 6.2 with an 8 speed. Said when you step on it doing 60mph it takes off like a bullet after it drops 3 or 4 gears. I'd test drive one.

Honestly love my lbz, I'll never own a diesel that is newer just because of emissions regs. I'd take a 15 over the 11-14's though. Look nicer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Buy a new one.
1. You are the proud owner of a new vehicle.
2. You have warranty
3. You have a better resale, less milage ect ect

Richard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guy at work running the 6.2 with an 8 speed. Said when you step on it doing 60mph it takes off like a bullet after it drops 3 or 4 gears. I'd test drive one.

Honestly love my lbz, I'll never own a diesel that is newer just because of emissions regs. I'd take a 15 over the 11-14's though. Look nicer.
I would really like to drive a new 6.2 with the 8 speed. Not one within 500 miles. I had a 12 denali with the 6.2 and six speed. It was a very nice truck. Had no problems whatsoever. It was the motor that was rated right at 400 horsepower. It had 3.42 gears. The new 6.2's come with 3.23's unless you get the max tow and then you only get bumped to 3.42's. I wished it had the option for 3.73s because i do plan on leveling whatever I get and running a bigger tire.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Porkchop11,

Honestly, IMO anyways, there is no reason to own a diesel if you don't tow much/often. If you plan to maybe purchase a trailer in the future and think you will be using it 1-2 times a month, sure go for the diesel. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense.

I've got a 2013 Silverado with the 5.3 (315 hp), and it's rated to tow 9k+ lbs. I think a crew cab is rated somewhere around 7.5k-8.5k. That is honestly more than enough for what I use my trailer for (hauling cars around).

I also have a 2003 Duramax dually. There is no way I would daily drive my Duramax over my 1/2 ton. I love my Duramax, but the 1/2 ton is just a modern day hot rod truck and is so much fun to drive. It's 4400 lbs. with just the 2wd. I deal with a lot of traffic, and being able to easily navigate that traffic is huge for me.

My .02 cents are get the 1/2 ton gasser, unless you're planning some serious trailer pulls in the future.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
^^^^Not everybody has 2 trucks one gas and one diesel.

I would avoid buying a used diesel especially if it has low miles, unless it's someone you know and you know how that person drives.
There's a reason the previous owner got rid of it, 90% of the time it's because they had issues. More than likely they had a tuner and was dumb a$$ enough to add to much hp drove like they stole it and f-th it up.

Just go back and read some of the threads/posts of people buying used with low miles and having some big problems trying to get the dealer to make good on it.
In and out of the shop trying to get the problems resolved.

I'm also guilty of trading in a 03 POS PowerChoke, I loved the truck but the engine was a constant problem.

We lucked out one of my sons was working for a GM company and we jumped on buying 2 new vehicles at the same time, both in sig.
My wife had a 06 Denali she got rear ended and another dealer did a chitty job painting it.
Another vehicle with a problem so we traded in and got rid of the problem.

With you being able to get a GM family discount,
BUY NEW
Now it's up to you gasser or diesel, I suggest DIESEL
But your going to have to make that call and live with it.
One thing you mentioned re-gearing on the gasser just figure out how much that would cost and add that to the total cost of a gasser then compare the price differences.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.