Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a 2010 Gmc 1500 quad cab and it will not start. Will not start with remote or key. Will not turn over at all. The dic has some flashing yellow light? He has a full warranty but the dealer is not open today. Any ideas? Everything functions but it's like there is a look out from the security system. Anyone?

·
Registered
510 Posts
do you know anybody that has a scan tool that can read codes?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sounds like a lock out, battery voltage good? Try disconnecting batteries for a bit, and lock and unlock the door a couple of times with the remote. All I can come up with at the moment, Not too familiar with the newer trucks yet. Good luck.

·
Registered
437 Posts
also try this:
"After attempting to start the engine, if the SECURITY light flashes or stays on, wait ten minutes with the key in ON until the light goes off. Then turn the ignition to OFF before attempting to start the engine again."

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mark. I will try this ASAP. And get back to ya with results

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts
Follow the pass key relearn process. Never turn key to off, open doors or window.

The key has nothing to do with it in these years. The posted link appears to be for previous versions of VATS.

Follow this procedure.

Passkey Security (VATS) Relearn Procedure

01-10

NOTE: The accessory key position is never used in this procedure. If at any time the
vehicle starts and runs normally, you can skip the remaining steps. You are done.

1. Disable your headlamps (parking brake apply, don’t remove any relays or fuses).

2. Attempt to start the vehicle. Vehicle may or may not 'fire' and quit. Release to “run”
position. Some vehicles will not engage the starter. This is normal. DO NOT TURN
OFF KEY YET !!

3. Leave the key in the "on" or “run” position, until the 'security' light goes out or quits
alternately flashing between "Security" and "Battery". This relearn period always takes
10 minutes.

4. After security light off, turn the key to “OFF: Wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat the above procedure (steps 2 through 4) 2 additional times for a total of 3
start-relearn-attempts, remembering to turn the key to “OFF” (not run) between
each 10 minute relearn procedure. On the third cycle, it will ignore the VIN differences
in the various modules and will start. THIS WILL TAKE 30 MINUTES--NO LESS.
If the 4th start attempt fails to start the vehicle you did one relearn step (or all of them
incorrectly). If you left your headlamps on until the battery went dead and voltage
dropped below 10.5 volts, charge them before proceedng!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Toney, will this cure the problem totally? Or should He bring it to the dealer when possible?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also to note It will start sometimes it takes fifteen minutes? Crazy. Thing is brand new

·
I'm That Guy...
16,689 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok tried the relearn steps . It started on the 3 Rd try but not on the fourth? He says the yellow light looks like a W. On the dash. He is sending me a pic of it now. Also the flashing lights go out in seconds not ten minutes?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
cid:20110911130312.jpg/20110911130312.jpg/[img]

How do I post a pic.

·
Registered
437 Posts
maybe the resistor in the key is bad (intermittent shorting), try the spare key for the relearn, what do you think Tony?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
His key does not have a chip on it mark. I think only the older ones do

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
There was a GM reflash to correct this problem-- if you don't get it running, contact your dealer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will not start.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will start. Note the compass.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well if the relearn did not work, I would probably just enjoy the day and have the dealer do the reflash tomorrow. Inconveniences suck, I know.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts