Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own an '03 GMC with the duramax. I have a predator programmer on it and 4" exhaust and a K&N filter. I work on a towboat and am gone for 30 days at a time the guy I relieve lives in the same town I do and he always drives my truck to his house then I pay a guy to go pick it up , wash it , then take it to my house. That said the guy that took it home from the boat has had it at his house for 1 1/2 weeks due to my detail guy being on vacation. He calls me yesterday and said he was gonna move it in his yard to mow under it and it started up he pulled it forward about 5 feet and it died, he said it hasnt hit a lick since, it spins over but wont start.my detail guy went to check it out today and check the diagnostics on it with the diablosport, to see if it threw a code and he said it said MAF fault. he cleared the code and the ses light is off and it still wont crank. I am wondering if a bad MAF sensor would cause it to Not start and what else would you check if that werent feasible. Any help will Be greatly appreciated. and wheres the cheapest place to but an OEM MAF sensor? Thanks, William Craig

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
Have them try to prime the fuel filter and see if it starts up. You probably had the MAF sensor code for quite some time due to the k&n. As far as the cheapest place to get a MAF sensor...probably gmpartsdirect if you can get the part number for the sensor. Either way, it will cost a couple of hundred. BTW, welcome to the forum.

According to alldatadiy.com the MAF sensor part number for my 04 is 88892543. Alldatadiy says to contact the dealer for the current part number though. This part number is 172 on gmpartsdirect.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
Yaeh i would try priming the filter, even change it. do you run any additive in the fuel? being that it sits so much with the same fuel in it alge has been known to grow in fuel that sits around and will plug a filter up in a heatbeat!!!
Just a thought!

Last i checked MAF sensors a pretty pricey, i would only buy one as a last resort as even a bad on should not keep the truck from starting. I ran mine on a 300 mile trip with it unpluged by accident before!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, i'll have my friend try it tomorrow hopefully. I bought the truck with 21000 miles on it and unless they change it when i get the oil changed then the filter hasnt been changed,currently it has 45000, i didnt realize it should be changed so often, i hope it didnt hurt my fuel pump. It hasnt been running bad or anything , but the last time I was home i noticed my battery light came on a couple times but the voltage showed 14 volts. Thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ok, he went and put a new Fuel filter on it and tried to cycle the pump with the bleeder valve open and it would never prime, so he primed it with the manual prime pump and it would put fuel out the bleeder with it , but it still wont pump with the key on..............a guy in town that is our electrical wizard said that the powerstrokes have had a problem similar to this and said it was the crank sensor, i think it was tied in to the pump somehow to where it wouldnt pump fuel if the sensor failed???? anyone know anything about this, and does this sound logical for a duramax???

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
DMax's don't have a lift pump. The only way to prime the system is to use the hand pump. It is a gravity feed system up to the CP3 (injector pump) so it pulls the fuel. If there air in the system, it will not pull it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, we finally got it......he said the first filter he got didnt come with new orings, and air and fuel was escaping the system. he ordered another and it came in this morning and he installed it with the new orings that came with it and primed the system and it runs like a top now. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL OF YOU THAT POSTED FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts