Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, it's not really "towing or hauling" but...you get the point. Wasn't an obvious place to put this so here I am.

After a less-than-stellar experience with an idiot-plow I am considering a major upgrade to something like this. At first it would only be for my own driveway but at some point after I retire I could see myself doing snow removal work for supplemental income. I know almost nothing about plows/plowing so I'm wondering what factors I should consider when choosing a plow. I like the idea of the V-plow for busting through driveway entrances blocked by snow piled from the big road plows, and the edge-only-trip of the plow I linked seems like it will help when working on rough pavement. But that's about all I was able to gather from Google.

So what am I missing? And what's the optimal width, material, and are there any other factors I need to consider (airflow to the cooling stack, etc.)? Will I have to remove the front receiver that I just replaced? Thanks in advance for any insight/education.

*For reference, my truck has the dual alternator option but the window sticker doesn't mention a snow plow prep package or anything like that. It has a 5600 lb FGAWR. I believe I can handle the electrical wiring aspect of the installation.

·
Registered
139 Posts
We had a guy who used to plow our datacenter parking lot in Washington, he had a 2015'ish work truck LML 2500 with a Boss V plow. I only took a peek once at it when I was onsite a few years ago, and it seemed to have a 2-point attachment system that was snug up against the bottom of the bumper (looked like he had to take the lower air dam off completely)

The guy wasn't particularly pleasant to talk to, and was far more interested in just plowing the damn lot and getting home to his midmorning case of beer... So I didn't pester him too much. It was fun to watch him haul ass through blasting the parking lot clean. He charged 'per visit' so he had incentive to get done as quick as possible, which is exactly what he did.

Eventually we did the ROI calculation and realized a Kubota diesel side by side with a small plow and a heated cab would pay itself off in a couple years, so that's what we did, and it's a lot of fun to drive. :)
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Snowplow

·
Registered
529 Posts
fisher or western V-Plow,can't go wrong,,if you can swing it,get the stainless version.have to cut the valence and chrome plastic and remove the center valence under the licence plate.

Reactions: jdwarren

·
Registered
2007 Chevrolet Silverado 6.6 LBZ
25 Posts
I just fitted a Boss V plow on my 2007. It's fantastic. I would like a little more ground clearance, but it's easy enough to flatten the blades to gain more clearance when needed. The attachment system is a breeze. I can have it off or on in about two minutes. Mine is only a full-trip model, but they have the next nicer model to mine which has full AND edge trip.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fisher or western V-Plow,can't go wrong,,if you can swing it,get the stainless version.have to cut the valence and chrome plastic and remove the center valence under the licence plate.
I just fitted a Boss V plow on my 2007. It's fantastic. I would like a little more ground clearance, but it's easy enough to flatten the blades to gain more clearance when needed. The attachment system is a breeze. I can have it off or on in about two minutes. Mine is only a full-trip model, but they have the next nicer model to mine which has full AND edge trip.
Thanks guys. Are there any significant differences between plow manufacturers that I should be aware of? The only reason I linked the Meyer plow was that I found a price listed for it; I have no sense of any differences in quality or features.

·
Super Moderator
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
2,821 Posts
JD I know you like cost-benefit type conversations: how many times can you have your driveway plowed with what you would spend on a plow and the necessary modifications to your truck? Unless the activity of plowing is in and of itself one of the benefits (which I get; I really enjoy plowing snow), it might take you a few years of having someone plow your driveway before you would break even doing it yourself.

Just a thought.

FWIW, Boss and Western Snowplows seem to be everywhere around here. Meyer too. They all seem to do the job they're designed to do. The difference, I believe, will come in the creature comforts with things like hookup.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JD I know you like cost-benefit type conversations: how many times can you have your driveway plowed with what you would spend on a plow and the necessary modifications to your truck? Unless the activity of plowing is in and of itself one of the benefits (which I get; I really enjoy plowing snow), it might take you a few years of having someone plow your driveway before you would break even doing it yourself.

Just a thought.

FWIW, Boss and Western Snowplows seem to be everywhere around here. Meyer too. They all seem to do the job they're designed to do. The difference, I believe, will come in the creature comforts with things like hookup.
Yep, definitely a good point. But I'm not coming at this from a "maximizing expected wealth" standpoint. It seems like fun, I like being self-reliant, and I might even use it to make money at some point in the future. But this purchase is driven more by emotion than financial needs. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep, definitely a good point. But I'm not coming at this from a "maximizing expected wealth" standpoint. It seems like fun, I like being self-reliant, and I might even use it to make money at some point in the future. But this purchase is driven more by emotion than financial needs. ;)
Mine clocked in right at $8300 installed to give you an idea. The lot I manage costs us about $500/trip to have plowed, so it will pay for itself this year.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine clocked in right at $8300 installed to give you an idea. The lot I manage costs us about $500/trip to have plowed, so it will pay for itself this year.
Nice. What width is your plow?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I don't have a plow but lot of plow here loggers to homeowners. One thing I see a lot is Boss plows.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have a Snowdogg on my truck. It is serving me well and has for the last 6 years.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Boss for me mine is 6 years old no problems.....I am planning on a V blade for the LBZ I just set up can’t wait

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. Do I need to be concerned with the fact that since our trucks have independent front suspension the camber angle will vary through suspension travel? I.e., with ~1000 lbs of plow forward of the front end the camber angle of the front wheels will become more negative. Does that create any issues, and if so, how have you dealt with them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks guys. Do I need to be concerned with the fact that since our trucks have independent front suspension the camber angle will vary through suspension travel? I.e., with ~1000 lbs of plow forward of the front end the camber angle of the front wheels will become more negative. Does that create any issues, and if so, how have you dealt with them?
I don't think it would be enough to worry about. If it were a Ford twin I-beam suspension I would say yes. My truck squats about two inches when the plow is up. I don't mind a little tread wear on the edges of the tires. It helps balance out the center wear pattern from my lead foot.

You could try air helper shocks on the front. The problem would be when you put the plow down to push snow, the load on the front end is gone and you might end up with traction issues.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I haven’t had any abnormal tire wear that I could notice.

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anytime you change the ride height front or rear of the truck your your alignment numbers change the only time they will be with in specs is when it’s on the rack and adjusted if you are going to worry about it I would get a life time alignment from Firestone you can go in once a year and have it adjusted

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I have a blizzard 8600 speedwing. Bought it new in 2010. Blizzard since merged with snowex. Love my setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. Went ahead with a Boss DXT 9'2" (stainless) because, well, YOLO. Invoice with costs below for others' future reference (price includes installation); pics to follow once it's installed.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is the 9'2" stainless DXT.

Just got the truck back and everything seems to be good. I was doing 65-75 (with some significant uphill sections) most of the way back to the house and didn't notice any ECT issues. I asked them not to adjust the torsion bars (cranking up the front end is a common thing with a heavy plow, I guess). In the pics below the plow is in maximum "V" configuration; the edges are a bit low so on the road I straighten the blades just a bid to get the corners higher off the ground. Even like that it's definitely narrow enough to drive on shitty NJ roads and highways.

The shop, MRI Services, is also fabricating me a 2" receiver that can be attached to the plow mount (they had to remove my front receiver to install the plow). I'll post pics once I've got it.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts