Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fort St John BC via AK
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok . can anyone tell me what does plugging the resonator on my LMM do?

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Some say it makes the turbo louder. Other's say it spools faster.

I plugged mine and noticed no real differences at all. Just be sure and use either lock tight or lock nuts or something in lieu of the wing nut that comes w/ the plug. The wing nut could back off and be fed thru your turbo.

·
Fort St John BC via AK
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i thought so. variable vane turbos don't whine so much as they sound like an air compressor dumping pressure.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
I used a rubber cap that fits the outside (not one of the plugs with wingnuts) and a hose clamp. No worries about things coming loose & ending up in the turbo.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Took mine out. Figured it wasn't worth the risk. Ill send it to ya for shipping.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
mine has been standing fast for awhile now.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I bought one of the pcv caps to use. Put it in and could tell absolutely no difference. Unless your resonator is cracked, I wouldn't even bother.

·
Fort St John BC via AK
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys .saves me about three bucks for nothin lol .guess if you want to here turbo whine .go with compound turbos .

·
Registered
686 Posts
for 3 bucks and more air in the turbo faster why not ?

u gotta thing a straight tube with out any huge pockets off to the side is gotta help air flow to the turbo better might not be much but it is better,

those stupid boxes should never been there anyways lol

·
Fort St John BC via AK
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree. if i was looking for .2 millibars of flow reduction on a 5 sec quarter mile ? sure it may be just enough to win why not. but for what little gain its not worth the risk assessment. that is sucking a foreign material into my turbo.

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
if you get the rubber cap that is held on by a hose clamp...there is no risk of sucking anything in. (it all goes on the outside of the intake tube)

I did mine because my resonator wouldnt stay put on my AFE intake tube.

·
Registered
686 Posts
if you get the rubber cap that is held on by a hose clamp...there is no risk of sucking anything in. (it all goes on the outside of the intake tube)

I did mine because my resonator wouldnt stay put on my AFE intake tube.
the turbo is sucking in pretty hard, that rubber with heat and time will get old and crack ,

u can buy the mmp kodiak mouth piece and have no hole.

the spin in lock cap will never come out tho from homedepot ,

or just buy a new piece for 3 bucks once a year and thro it on every other oil change its not hard, lol for the peeps worried bout sucking chit in there turbo ,

·
Administrator
8,818 Posts
They didnt have the right size spin in lock at my home depot here...so I got the rubber cap. I highly doubt mine will crack...it is pretty thick rubber.

·
Registered
366 Posts
They didnt have the right size spin in lock at my home depot here...so I got the rubber cap. I highly doubt mine will crack...it is pretty thick rubber.

the one I bought was also from the home depot. I bet the rubber is probly at least a quarter inch thick. I'm not using mine but I'll keep it around just in case the resonator ever cracks.

·
Registered
872 Posts
aligator performance sells a special plug. Thats what I bought. I wanted to do it right with no risk. It makes the turbo louder on the intake side. I thought it make it a noticable amount louder. Sounds like you build more boost, but you dont. It 30 bucks for the billet piece with an o ring on it. If you order something from alligator I would throw it in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts