Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what you're thinking. "Your wheels will rust without some sort of protection". Thats exactly what I'm coming to you guys/gals for assistance with. My old 2004 dually wheels are not the most pleasant to look at. I've considered wheel simulators. I'd really like to get some new wheels, but the ones I want are a bit pricey. Id like to polish my steel wheels and put some sort of enamel or clear coat on to keep it from rusting. From what I've heard, its hard to get any sort of protection on polished steel, but I'm no body expert. What(if anything) could I use to protect my wheels after polishing? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
476 Posts
In short----a 100% waste of time and money. Could go into detail to explain about how corrosion or rust as some refer to it as will still be present before the coating (polishing will not remove corrosion down to unaffected substrate). Additionally, the coating on the steel will be chipping and then corrosion will start immediately. Will look pretty bad and be more noticeable because it will stand out.

Just know this going in.

·
Registered
368 Posts
If they are steel wheels I would think sandblasting them down to bare metal then either powdercoating them or epoxy painting them would work. I've had aluminum wheels bbead lasted and powdercoated and they held up great for the years I had them. I also sandblastes 4 steel Mustang wheels and they turned our decent. Also did this on 4 trailer wheels that were all rusty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts