Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm trying sheed some light on another problem I've owned my truck for 5 months now, I did injectors, shortly after, all glowplugs, glow plug module, and injection pump. When I got it back from the last visit which was injection pump, and glowplug stuff it started a lot better but not as good as my buddy's LB7, I don't know If my truck would start below 5 degrees without The block heater. It starts rough when It's real cold but quickly picks up all cylinders maybe 3-5 seconds depending how cold, to run on all 8.

I read that a lift pump could cause this? With my injectors and injection pump both failing, and the smoke at cold start I wonder if It's true, I wanna get one anyway but I don't wanna deal with another injection pump failure. My trucks opinion of a cold start is a lot warmer than it should be i think.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If its very cold out, say 20-25 or below, its normal for it to run rough immediately after startup for just a few seconds. Diesels do not like cold starts. Ive never had one do that after being plugged in all night. Is this only happening when its started cold?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My 03 started at 0 degrees no problem now after injector change different story just started at 15 above it took 4 tries. Hopefully somebody know the answer.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No i get diesels, It's not one for cold weather, I have the grill bra on still it sat at work for ten hours, dropped to 14* without the wind chill. It lite up not excessive cranking, but it looped for Atleast 30 seconds.

I talked to the tech who did my injection pump and glowplugs, he was very knowledgeable, he knows the Detroit diesels very well, he stated that you cant hold two vehicles that are "identical" to each other. There is simply to many variables to engine performance, and i agree, he went on to say my truck was apparent to him to be the best maintained, and cleanest, and was baffled that mine was worse off then my buddies. He told me that he does not know of the aftermarket lift pump helping, he said that they are much better than the Detroit diesels and should be fine. So I'm no longer sweating it.

And Sawking our problems are not the same, I had that problem before I had the pump and glowplugs replaced. I realized while doing my Injectors I must have hit the glow plug conductor strips, they both had practically rusted off my truck, when going to replace I was snapping studs off my glowplugs that's when i decided to have them done. How ever they were for the most part still hooked up. It would take a couple trys to start it which didn't make sense because Atleast 6 were still connected. So i made the appointment with the near by gm dealer, that weekend my pump went so laddy da, they told me half my glow plug module had failed and that is why I was having issues.

They worked before my injector swap, but some how my glow plug module blew up after that. My guess is either your conductors, or GP module is the culprit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts