Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rebuilt a 06 lly/lbz pistons,studs,deleted and a bunch more ran it about 6 hours after rebuild going thru multiple heat cycles with no issues. Took it for a test drive and leaving a stop sign heard a pop and lost all boost and had some smoke out of exhaust never smoked before the pop sound. Came back home checked it all over and thought maybe the intake pipe to the bridge didn't seal good hooked it all back up went for another drive sounded decent but like it wasnt fully spooling. Again leaving stop sign sounds like a party whistle and lost all boost and smoke out the tail pipe again looked like light smoke coming from the turbo. It will run fine in the driveway no smoke no sounds untile I give it gas under load any ideas? there was no issues like the this before rebuild I did the rebuild for a bad head gasket

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
458 Posts
Sounds like a intercooler boot came loose somewhere. If you still have plastic pass side pipe make sure it is pushed on and locked like it should be on both ends.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes lost your boost somewhere. Can make a heck of a noise when one the boots come off. Mine was up front on pass side but, it can be any of them. I actually went through and bought new clamps for all of them to keep them seated tight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All boots are on but I need to check the passenger side one that connected to the deleted pipe it didnt seem like the clamp was clamping good. Will a leaking boot make the turbo get warm and cause smoke out of the exhaust pipe not black smoke more like oil smoke. It only smoked when the noise happened and it was a good amount of smoke

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
All boots are on but I need to check the passenger side one that connected to the deleted pipe it didnt seem like the clamp was clamping good. Will a leaking boot make the turbo get warm and cause smoke out of the exhaust pipe not black smoke more like oil smoke. It only smoked when the noise happened and it was a good amount of smoke
Yes with a Boost leek your exhaust will be black as it is running rich, AS said above you have a Boost leak on a pipe somewhere between the turbo and intake. Check all boots and clamps

·
Registered
223 Posts
What do you mean by "turbo gets hot"? Turbos are hot, they have up to 1300* exhaust gases going through them under boost so, yea they are hot! Also, Fuel without boost runs hot. Boost is what cools the exhaust gasses.

Need to monitor your boost levels. i bet you are lacking boost either because of turbo or vane issues OR you popped a leak. the "POP" you describe keeps making me think a connection on the intercooler piping.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured the turbi9 got hot because of exhaust but when the pop happened it had steam like smoke coming off from it. It ended up being a little bit of oil that got in there I think during the rebuild. The sound was a the elbow that goes into the intake cane out just a little bit. Currently waiting on aftermarket intake but truck is back on the road

1 - 7 of 7 Posts