Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i turn sometimes and when i hit pumps i get a cracking popping noise kinda feels like its in the steering feels like something is loose but cant find anything loose.... any ideas

·
Registered
915 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is whats happening to me too. I only hear it at lower speeds, and it almost feels like something large is loose or unbolted and thumping around?

From the research I've done on here and elsewhere it appears its the intermediate steering shaft.

Anyways, its a shitty design on GM's part (my 01 Oldsmobile Aurora has the exact same problem) and you can buy a replacement part that is supposed to be a re-design for around $50 (see: 1999-06 Silverado/Sierra Intermediate Steering Shaft at LRS - Same Day Shipping!)

However, from what I've read even that one will start making the same noises after another 40k miles or so. The consensus seems to be that getting a zip tie or one of those metal bands you can tighten down with a screwdriver and wrap it along the base of the steering shaft, it will squeeze the assembly enough to stop the noise. I haven't tried this myself yet as I just haven't had the time plus its not my daily driver, but will eventually give it a shot.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there any way to tell that thats what it is or no

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
my pitman arm, idler brace, and upper control arm was loose on mine and the a arm popped like hell. just stick a jack under the lower control arm get the tire off the grond and jerk the shit out of it. then do it with the other side. could be something small could be the truck falling apart.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jerk the shit outta what ??

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
the tire, you have a lift something mighta come loose, just jack up one side at a time, jerk the shit outta the tire from side to side and up and down, if somethings loose or shot youll hear it.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright cool is there a way to check the shaft to or no

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
which one? the drive shaft you just move up and down at both ends by hand. intermediate steering shaft grab it in the middle and jerk on it they usually have the play up by the firewall, and the axles just grab them and yank the shit out off them, they all should fe fairly tight but a little movement isnt unusual.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
If you jack the front end up: see if the wheels will move by pulling on one side, and pushing on the other. Like if you where turning. if it does, there is probably something loose.

If not then it could be your intermediate shaft, or rack possibly, though if the rack was going out you might have side to side movement like said above.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the cv axles on ine are kinda loose i have a video on youtube let me see if i canfind it

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you mean like pull one tire and if the other tires moves to its the rack

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
thats kinda loose but not terrible. they do have some play there.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just checked everything shook the steering sghaft it moves barely but not much no clanking... I also checked the noise in the front and i think its the cognito tie rods they are like popping everything else that i could feel is tight

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
you mean like pull one tire and if the other tires moves to its the rack
I mean like, if the truck is off the ground, go to each side and put a hand on both sides L R of the tire. Then alternate one hand pushing in, and the other one pulling, and vise versa. If it jiggles then... otherwise go to the other tire.

In park remember that the wheel is locked. Also, it would probably be extremely hard to move the steering wheel by moving the tire anyway. The whole point of this is to see if there is any slack in the steering parts, and i don't think much, if any of that force gets transmitted to the intermediate shaft. So if there isn't much slack, then i would assume your problem is closer the the intermediate shaft. That is to say, if nothing is rubbing and getting hung up.

BTW, I think you cv's are probably fine. I haven't messed with mine before, but ive changed several on fwd cars, and they always have i little movement. Anyway, the part the get re-manufactured when they rebuild those is the two joints, not the end of the shafts which appeared to be moving in your video.

Sorry for the sermon. :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
As far as trying to move the intermediate shaft, the cause of the problem I was referring to is basically that there is a tube that houses the shaft and the shaft pops/clunks around inside the tube. So your not going to feel anything loose. The idea of the band/zip tie is to squeeze the tube to make it slightly smaller and not allow the space for the shaft to clunk around inside of it.

At least thats the understanding I have of it from what I've read up on. I mean its like a $3 attempt for one of those metal binding brackets if you wanna give it a try to at least eliminate one possibility.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts