Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being I've got a thread over on duramaxdiesels I figured I'd start one over here.

My reasoning for doing this all started when I ported/polished the intake horn on my pickup. After seeing the ruff casting and how much I was able to open up the the intake horn not to mention the added drive ability. With that I figured there's gains to be made by porting/polishing the IHI.

This is the turbo I started with, as you can see it was in rough shape. The first thing I noticed was how the up pipe ports don't match the up pipe gaskets. Or the reason for the lip on the exhaust side of the turbo. So being I've always had an interest in seeing how things work and improvement what I can I gave it shot.

You can see from the picture showing where the up pipes bolt the yellow paint, there's roughly 1/8in all the way around that can be machined so it matches the up pipes gaskets.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Man that thing is ugly! I bet you will notice a difference once you get done with it!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Man that thing is ugly! I bet you will notice a difference once you get done with it!
I noticed a big difference :thumb

Yellowchevy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After removing the compressor cover I went to remove the compressor wheel. Due to how it looked I suspected I'd run into a few problems, first one was of the wheel removal. I ended up destroying the compressor wheel so one of these days I'll have to get a new one, maybe a batmowheel but I haven't decided yet.

Once the compressor wheel was removed I unbolted the back side of the compressor cover then moved on to removing the center section from the exhaust housing; removal of the center section did take some time. One thing to be aware of when separating the bearing/center section is the small dowel pin that a lines them together. There's also the 2 thin copper washers you need to make sure don't get damage :thumb.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

·
Former GM Tech and parts
3,603 Posts
I saw your thread over there, thought it was pretty interesting. If you would be interested in working another one over, I'd like to get mine rebuilt. Pm me if you would be interested please

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Interesting...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a lot of time into the first one I did being I was learning as I went plus I put all new bearings/seals in it.
The second one I did went much quicker but I didn't but new bearings/seals in it. I was able to get the second one done in a long day; ported/polished and painted.

Yellowchevy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Are you gonna show pics of porting the housing? and what kind of results did you get out of this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you gonna show pics of porting the housing? and what kind of results did you get out of this?
Yes I am, just haven't gotten there yet. :thumb
It made 12.3 in the 1/4 mile and gained 31hp on the dyno.
I'll be adding all that just haven't gotten there yet.

Yellowchevy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now with the turbo dismantled it's time to port/polish the exhaust housing.

First thing I did was remove the lip on the discharge side of the exhaust wheel being I saw no need for it to be here. I took a carbide bit, removed the limp and smoothed everything out followed by polishing it with a 60 - 80 grit flap wheel. Once done with that I moved on to the up pipe ports. I took an up pipe gasket and mark out how much material I could remove. I removed ALOT of steel from the exhaust housing, I was very surprised. As you can see from the picture how much larger the ports can be enlarged.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

·
Registered
416 Posts
subed.. does this change the sound what so ever?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
subed.. does this change the sound what so ever?
Yes it did. What I noticed was it didn't whistle that much in the lower RPMs but once got on its screams. The guy that has one on his pickup LOVE'S it and says it takes off like a raped ape and sounds mean, haha:thumb

Yellowchevy

·
Registered
416 Posts
Haha never heard it compared to that before! I might look into
This instead of a new turbo

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Continuing on with cleaning up the exhaust housing. I machined out as much as I could of the up pipe ports and removed the lip on the exit side of the exhaust wheel. I then smoothed out as much as I could reach in the up pipe holes going up inside the housing. Once I got all I could with a tool I then hand sanded everything I could all the way up to 800 grit wet sanding, which turned out really wheel.
Next I focused my attention to the compressor side of the turbo.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing I forgot to mention is if you look at the one picture you'll see I opened up the ports on the waste gate. I only did this on the first one; for the other IHI I didn't open this port up being I really didn't see the need.

Yellowchevy

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Awesome man. I was looking for this very info a couple months ago. Over the holidays I tried to install my batmo wheel without removing the turbo. I never was able to seperate the housings. Hopefully I will get around to removing the turbo and installing the BMW in a couple weeks. I will try and tackle this at the same time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome man. I was looking for this very info a couple months ago. Over the holidays I tried to install my batmo wheel without removing the turbo. I never was able to seperate the housings. Hopefully I will get around to removing the turbo and installing the BMW in a couple weeks. I will try and tackle this at the same time.
I would for sure take the turbo out if you're going to but a batmowheel in it.

Yellowchevy

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Once I finished the exhaust housing of the turbo I moved on to the intake side.
First thing I did was port/polish the discharge side of the compressor cover, which isn't the most fun being there isn't much room.

Next I hand sanded the back of the compressor cover and back plate where the compressor cover bolts to. I started with 220 grit all the way up to 1000 grit followed by aluminum polish. I was happy with how it turned out plus it looks much better. :thumb

Yellowchevy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would for sure take the turbo out if you're going to but a batmowheel in it.

Yellowchevy
Yeah, I went through 4 12mm wrenched grinding and heating them up to bend them just to get that last bolt out. Finally gave up and went to the bar. I wanted to do this anyway.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.