Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Townaj, even California has concluded that anything after the last emissions control device is fair game to change, that’s why you can sell cat-back exhausts even in California. It’s all the stuff between the intake and the cats is what is highly regulated and “illegal” to change. In the diesel world, it would be from the throttle valve to the DPF, the intakes and tail pipe kits are all legal.

·
Registered
149 Posts
All HUMVEES now have a cat on them, they don’t bother with the rest of the later stuff, but they did start with the basic emissions even on the military stuff. Emissions and parts availability is some of the big reasons the military is trying to only use commercial engine setups now, getting away from military only.
Interesting. Cats are pretty hard to mess up so that makes sense. They're pretty fool proof if you don't mess with them

Townaj, even California has concluded that anything after the last emissions control device is fair game to change, that’s why you can sell cat-back exhausts even in California. It’s all the stuff between the intake and the cats is what is highly regulated and “illegal” to change. In the diesel world, it would be from the throttle valve to the DPF, the intakes and tail pipe kits are all legal.
Thats good to know. Mom lives on the ranch in Cali and has two Cummins that are flying under the radar for the moment. Least they're not as locked down as I thought

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Thank you for educating me. I have learned something new today. I was unaware construction equipment was being forced into the emission mess.

Does this also mean that NHRA and NASCAR will also have to comply? What about off road racing? Baja, Ultra 4, and all the call out challenges? Sheesh, even monster trucks, mud bog racing, and tractor pullers? Where is the emissions line being drawn?

The marine industry is now producing compliant boats with catalytic converters FWIW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well lets just hope they do not start issuing federally mandated emissions testing for all states in America.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I dont know why GM could say anything about any kind of modifications an owner would do to their vehicle. GM can and most likely will void the warranty. And that is to be expected. However they cannot tell you how to use your vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle and decide you want to race baja in it could they tell you no? Why would they even care? They got your money from the purchase. I don't see how GM could tell you anything about how you modify and use your vehicle.
To further this comment, why wouldn't they be secretly tickled that the community would be more ingratiated with their truck if they know they can still make it their own? Gets them out of the risk of warranty claims by no fault of their own, they'll sell more parts (potentially), etc., etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has their been any new news on this front? Last I saw was people were lining up to pre order ECU's and send them off. I haven't heard anything about folks getting them back and doing any tuning yet. I would be interested in hearing about folks issues, success, prices, etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
here in VA, there are now remote (roadside) emission testing devices. you just drive pass it.

FROM WEB SITE;
Inspections are valid for two years and may be obtained by having your vehicle inspected either by:

Driving past a RAPIDPASS on-road emissions testing site. RAPIDPASS is an on-road emissions test completed in less than a second as a vehicle is driven past RAPIDPASS roadside equipment. To learn more, visit www.RAPIDPASS.org
Visiting a certified emissions inspection station.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Has their been any new news on this front? Last I saw was people were lining up to pre order ECU's and send them off. I haven't heard anything about folks getting them back and doing any tuning yet. I would be interested in hearing about folks issues, success, prices, etc.
Join any of the L5P Facebook groups and there are a ton of videos of deleted trucks, the "L5P DURAMAX ONLY" page seems to have the most out of the four I joined.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts