Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is OK to repost. MY original thread disapeared and doesn't seem to be coming back as no one from the site admin has been back in touch with me.

Hey guys,
On the verge of buying a 2020 Z71 3500 High Country. We currently tow (very well I might add but we are needing more payload capacity) with a 2016 Titan XD.

Here is my question. Our 34ft KZ Durango 5th wheel sits almost level (it's just a slight bit nose high) with the Nissan using the Reese goosebox and ball in the bed of the truck (By the way...AMAZING pin box!)

I am concerned that when I hook everything up to the 3500 that the KZ is going to be way nose high and if I lower the pin box I am going to lose my 7" of bed rail clearence. Here are the measurements I am looking at right now:

Camper overhang to ground is 64"

Numbers below are without the camper attached.
Ground to Titan XD Bed 37 1/2"
Titan XD Bed height 20.8"

Ground to 3500 is 41 1/2"
3500 bed height 21" (per specs) not actually measured. I forgot :(

It looks like I will be an easy 4" up on the front end with this new truck. Now, while I am not concerned about towing a bit nose high I think this may be too extreme.

Weighed pin weight on the trailer is about 1530 with our gear. We pack light to keep our payload inside the safe range! The dry pin weight of this camper is a light 1130lbs from the factory! With a new truck we could certainly load it up to the GVWR but we just don't have that much stuff to go camping!! LOL

Can the Chevy easily be lowered a bit? My trailer axles are already flipped and on the highest setting from the factory.

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Last year I stopped at a Chevy dealer and asked if there was a lowering kit for the 3500 diesels as my older trailer will not work with the newer higher trucks.
I was told you could get a lowering kit with original purchase but is only as a factory option.

Later when I was at a different Chevy dealer in another town I asked the same question. I was told there was no such option.
So I would recommend you ask your dealer and if there is such an option you may have to custom order a truck but that way you will have a truck configured your way.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Someone else previously posted that you should attach your trailer to the truck before you ever really know how level you will be and how much clearance you have. My previous post said that the best way to determine if trailer level was with a 4' level on the bottom of the frame of the trailer in front of the tires

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You should look at lowering shackles for the rear. I think dmaxstore.com may have some.

·
Premium Member
2,580 Posts
I will attempt to repost my original response as the original thread disappeared into the abyss .........

Almost all new 5vr owners fail to take into consideration rear end squat when hooking up their campers.

My camper had a pin weight of ~2900 lbs and would squat the rear of my dually about 4 inches.

The pin weight of your camper is about half of mine so it should be reasonable to expect the your truck would squat 2 inches or more depending on suspension wear/setup.

I would not recommend that anyone tow a 5vr and not be level. Towing a 5vr nose high/low results in increased front/rear tire wear and may lead to a blow out. And, blow outs on 5vrs can be pretty catastrophic with some taking out the entire side of the camper.

To ensure that you know what your setup will be and/or look like the only way to know for sure is to hook the 5vr up to the new truck. You may find that after taking into consideration suspension squat and all of the other factors, you may not have to adjust your hitch and/or pin box as much you currently think.

Don't know if I covered everything here that I did in the original post. Let me know if I can answer questions or help.

Reactions: BrokenBackJack

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our Titan XD squats about 2" (as you may know or not - the XD is a tweener truck, not quite a 3/4 not a 1/2 ton. Maybe a HD half ton). Payload is 2030 from the factory.

I will have to look in to the lower shackles just in case. I think that we may be closer then we think if I can find a Z71 without the snowplow package. I think that it might lift everything more with that package.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Rather than lower your truck, another option is to raise the 5er. Easier and cheaper, plus you don't mess with the original suspension you just paid so much money for.

Etrailer sells kits for single and dual axle rigs.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Rather than lower your truck, another option is to raise the 5er. Easier and cheaper, plus you don't mess with the original suspension you just paid so much money for.

Etrailer sells kits for single and dual axle rigs.
He said he already has his axles flipped.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Talked to a dealership that has an LTZ on the lot without the snowplow/camper package. He measured for me and the height from the ground to the bottom of bed is approx 39 /12" which is about 2" more then our Titan XD. This is actually better news since the snowplow package was another 2" higher when I measured it. This certainly helps our situation.

Wanted the high country triim level for the outside looks and the wheels but I would be in it about 3k more at another dealer and be stuck with the snowplow/camper package.

This is a 3500 LTZ pretty much loaded except for a sunroof and the trailer TPMS sensors. It has all the tech the HC has So I told the dealer we'll take it. They are almost 3 hours away so this of course is pending a test drive etc.

So if all goes we'll we will be owning our first ever Chevy vehicle.

·
Registered
952 Posts
With that light of a pin load, you won't get too much squat on a 3500. I put 2000 lbs of hay in mine and don't even touch the overloads going over bumps. I also tow a 4 horse bumper pull with about a 1200 lb tongue weight and only lose an inch on the hitch. Even less in the bed.

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Talked to a dealership that has an LTZ on the lot without the snowplow/camper package. He measured for me and the height from the ground to the bottom of bed is approx 39 /12" which is about 2" more then our Titan XD. This is actually better news since the snowplow package was another 2" higher when I measured it. This certainly helps our situation.

Wanted the high country triim level for the outside looks and the wheels but I would be in it about 3k more at another dealer and be stuck with the snowplow/camper package.

This is a 3500 LTZ pretty much loaded except for a sunroof and the trailer TPMS sensors. It has all the tech the HC has So I told the dealer we'll take it. They are almost 3 hours away so this of course is pending a test drive etc.

So if all goes we'll we will be owning our first ever Chevy vehicle.
Kindly share pictures with us after you "test drive" and purchase it. You are going to love it!!

Reactions: CSI007

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
He said he already has his axles flipped.
The kits at etrailer are shackle extensions and will raise it even another 2" or so after he flipped the axles.

Reactions: Bobx2

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kindly share pictures with us after you "test drive" and purchase it. You are going to love it!!
Will do. We actually are YouTubers so I will be sure to post a video too! LOL If this deal goes through you'll be seeing a lot of it on our adventures. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went back to look at the original truck that has the snowplow/camper package and it was parked in a different area. Re-measured and got 38/1/2" from the ground to the bottom of the bed. We are good to go since our TitanXD is 37 1/2" Now I just got to get a deal finalized with some dealer with the right truck.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Pulling a 5er with the nose somewhat in the air shouldn't be a big issue if your trailer has a walking suspension. My camper is sitting on top of the axles and still pulls with the nose plenty high on my dually but with the walking suspension (equalizers hooking the front and rear springs together) the weight is balanced on the axles. I have no problems with overloading, blowouts or tire wear. Torsion axles would be a different story but you don't see many of those.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Pulling a 5er with the nose somewhat in the air shouldn't be a big issue if your trailer has a walking suspension. My camper is sitting on top of the axles and still pulls with the nose plenty high on my dually but with the walking suspension (equalizers hooking the front and rear springs together) the weight is balanced on the axles. I have no problems with overloading, blowouts or tire wear. Torsion axles would be a different story but you don't see many of those.
If you go to the scales and weight each trailer axle you will be in for a surprise.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No I haven't actually scaled each axle, just going by the tires having about the same squat to them. I haven't had any blowouts, front or rear, and the tire wear is even, front to back axle.

I've seen what it looks like when you get the nose too high on a walking tandem trailer, When the equalizers bottom out, then you start transferring too much weight to the rear axle. A few inches from front to rear on a trailer won't do that.

Sure, we'd all rather pull most trailers level, but a few inches high on the nose isn't the end of the world.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts