Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
1) Do you have any before and after photos of this when used on a diesel motor like ours (particularly the hot/VVT side of the turbo)? Not yet, we are working on getting some in place for various vehicles but we don't have any yet I am afraid. As soon as we have some I will post them.

2) Is the cold engine start to ensure the surfactant (wetting agent) is able to fully coat the hot side components? It is in that Revive is water based so if we started with a hot engine a lot of the fluid treatment would be wasted due to evaporation.

3) What is/are the physical/chemical process(es) that actually removes these carbon deposits on the hot side? The carbon is removed in microscopic particles using the patented technology that Revive is based on.

I hope this goes some way to answering your questions?

Yes definitely, thank you for the responses.

Sounds promising but hopefully a few Duramax members will give it a try and we'll have an acid test for how well it really works on these trucks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
my truck has right a 90k. I bought it with 45, and honestly the first 45 it was abused it was a repo truck, but price was too good to pass up.:thumb

·
Registered
33 Posts
03 zr2, thanks for being the guinea pig. I am having a similar issue (thread) and I am at the end of my rope w/ fixes so I think I'm going to give this a whirl before I pull the turbo.

Would you mind sharing the instructions you went through for your truck specifically? I have an 06 LBZ too so I think it would make sense to mimic what you did.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The calculation is as follows:

• Stage 1: Inject 250ml of Revive at 0.45 x manufacturers based maximum RPM (redline) of the engine (eg: GMC Duramax 3250 RPM x 0.45 = 1460 RPM)

• Stage 2: inject 250ml of Revive at 0.3 x manufacturers based on maximum RPM (redline) of the engine (eg: GMC Duramax 3250 RPM x 0.3 = 975 RPM)

• Stage 3: Inject 250ml of Revive at 0.4 x manufacturers based maximum RPM (redline) of the engine (eg: GMC Duramax 3250 RPM x 0.4 = 1300 RPM)

I then ran my truck up to over 2000 for just a few seconds after i was done spraying. It didnt blow smoke and garbage out until I hammered on it on the freeway, and hit 30 pounds of boost once again. thanks revive

·
Registered
553 Posts
sub interesting

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Subd

·
Registered
33 Posts
The calculation is as follows:

• Stage 1: Inject 250ml of Revive at 0.45 x manufacturers based maximum RPM (redline) of the engine (eg: GMC Duramax 3250 RPM x 0.45 = 1460 RPM)

• Stage 2: inject 250ml of Revive at 0.3 x manufacturers based on maximum RPM (redline) of the engine (eg: GMC Duramax 3250 RPM x 0.3 = 975 RPM)

• Stage 3: Inject 250ml of Revive at 0.4 x manufacturers based maximum RPM (redline) of the engine (eg: GMC Duramax 3000 RPM x 0.4 = 1300 RPM)

I then ran my truck up to over 2000 for just a few seconds after i was done spraying. It didnt blow smoke and garbage out until I hammered on it on the freeway, and hit 30 pounds of boost once again. thanks revive
Excellent thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
03 zr2, where did you inject the fluid btw? Did you remove the resonator (or resonator plug) and spray in there or did you totally remove the intake from the turbo and spray directly into the cold side?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just wanted to give my feedback on the Revive turbo cleaner product. Bottom line is that it did NOT work for me.

Used a bottle in my 6.6 liter duramax and it barely produced any water vapor or anything like that. I followed the instructions exactly and I'm pretty disappointed that it didn't do anything for the truck... vanes are still sticking at 70%.

My opinion is don't waste your money like I did but it did work for 03 zr2 so perhaps it's a crap shoot.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Just wanted to give my feedback on the Revive turbo cleaner product. Bottom line is that it did NOT work for me.

Used a bottle in my 6.6 liter duramax and it barely produced any water vapor or anything like that. I followed the instructions exactly and I'm pretty disappointed that it didn't do anything for the truck... vanes are still sticking at 70%.

Additionally, the guy selling it has not responded to any emails I have sent to him on the topic of the product not working after the sale. He was extremely responsive before I purchased but now he's missing in action.

My opinion is don't waste your money like I did but it did work for 03 zr2 so perhaps it's a crap shoot.

I would just pull your turbo and open it up to see why the vanes were stuck.

That way you'll be able to get it running in top shape again and you'll know the cause of it sticking (ie carbon, rust or mechanical)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would just pull your turbo and open it up to see why the vanes were stuck.

That way you'll be able to get it running in top shape again and you'll know the cause of it sticking (ie carbon, rust or mechanical)
That's the plan. Figured trying this revive stuff was worth a shot however I found it to be less than useful.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I shot the fluid into the intake past the mass airflow sensor. It worked for me. My turbo never would stick, it would just cycle all the time and throw codes? I dont know..... wish there was easy answer. Also my truck didnt smoke at all when it was idling, it only blew the nasty smoke when i hammered on it going up freeway on ramp.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
That's the plan. Figured trying this revive stuff was worth a shot however I found it to be less than useful.

Sounds good and please post some pics when you do. :thumb

·
Registered
33 Posts
I shot the fluid into the intake past the mass airflow sensor. It worked for me. My turbo never would stick, it would just cycle all the time and throw codes? I dont know..... wish there was easy answer. Also my truck didnt smoke at all when it was idling, it only blew the nasty smoke when i hammered on it going up freeway on ramp.
Ok that's where I sprayed mine as well. Just to give an update, Mike Smith from Revive has contacted me and he is actively engaging w/ me to determine what could be going on in my scenario where the revive stuff didn't work. Wanted to give an update because before I wasn't getting email responses but it seems there was some technical difficulties between us.

Sounds good and please post some pics when you do. :thumb
Yep, plan to. I will post into my P003A thread on Diesel Place and cross post here.

·
Registered
5,777 Posts
Ok that's where I sprayed mine as well. Just to give an update, Mike Smith from Revive has contacted me and he is actively engaging w/ me to determine what could be going on in my scenario where the revive stuff didn't work. Wanted to give an update because before I wasn't getting email responses but it seems there was some technical difficulties between us.

Yep, plan to. I will post into my P003A thread on Diesel Place and cross post here.

To be fair I wouldn't expect the Revive product to cure the hot section on heavily rusted or mechanically failed turbos (ie would only work on carbon buildup) which is why I wanted to see the picks when you pull it apart. Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm getting ready to pull my turbo and saw this..I'd be willing to try it. bought my truck with 37K and its been tripping lights since. Replaced VPS and still no go.

Where do I get this stuff??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Since August I guess..ddidn't worry about it at first then when i started to look into the cause Iijust put off pulling the turbo. Now i want to get it fixed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks KGTO. I was just curious to know. When I first started digging into the issues around that code, I was really tempted to just disable the MIL for it in EFI Live and be done with it but that's such a dirty hack that I really wouldn't feel good about doing so.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.