Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum, but have been looking for info as outsider. I have a 2001 duramax. The motor was replaced at 75000 miles and now I have 120000 miles. I just changed the fuel filter about 800 miles ago. It seemed to fix my problem ,but it started back. I thought it was bad fuel, but I don't know. Any ways the truck cranks fine and runs fine, but periodiacaly when I am driving the truck will stall out and will only turn about 2000 RPM's. When it does this the check engine light comes on, but I haven't pulled the codes yet. I can usually pull the drain plug on the fuel filter and it will continue the distance. Lately it will continue to stall though. Any suggetions? I am tempted to drop the tank and drain it if I change the filter again.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
To really know for sure what is going on, you really need the codes. I am assuming you have a completely stock set-up? Have you been buying fuel from a reputable place? It is not uncommon for you to get some bad fuel from a small town pump. It only take 1 bad tank to clog a fuel filter. Without more information, it will be hard to help you. Welcome to the forum though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been buying fuel from a large truck stop and have never had any problems. About 3 months ago I had to buy fuel at another location and I think that is where I got a bad fuel. The problem didn't really get bad untill about a month ago. If I pull the tank what is the best way to clean it out? Is there a pump in the fuel tank and if so should I go ahead and change it at the same time?

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
There is no pump, just the pick-up. I had a friend here that pulled his tank and pretty much had to dump it out in a big container. I have heard that some guys have just drilled a hole in the tank and put a petcock there so they can drain it in the future.....I don't think that is a great idea since the tank is plastic, but I think a few guys have done that. You could also have bacteria growing in the fuel....maybe get some biocide?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did check the codes and the only code is glow plug malfunction. I don't think glow plugs would have any thing to do with it though. I cleaned the intake and mass air flow sensor and haven't had any more problems(knock on wood). I will just what happens. If it does it again I will go back to troubleshooting a fuel problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts