Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm posting this in the wrong section feel free to move to or let me know.

I am potentially looking at moving to North Dakota in April for a job and I am seeking advice from anyone that is currently already there or from there. I currently reside in Florida and while I've visited colder states I've never lived there for any real length of time. Been reading up online and doing some research about the area I'd be moving to (Williston), but still could use some additional input, both for me and my truck, and eventually my family. Any serious help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I can give you some advice for cold weather climates being from MN. I have never had to worry about my truck much in cold weather. I rarely ever plug it in and have only had a gelling issue one time last year due to bad fuel at a station. If you run an additive in the winter you really shouldn't need to worry about it much. I always carry a jug of diesel 911 with me just in case but like I said last year is the only time I ever had a problem, even down to -30 to -40 temps. Driving in snow is something you're probably not used to either, is your truck 4x4? If so you shouldnt have any problems either just give yourself some extra space and don't make sudden movements while driving and you won't have problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks and yes it 4x4, I've done some driving in the snow but nothing more than an inch or two. Would you recommend installing a heat on the block? I run diesel kleen now just to help keep things running smooth. What about tires? I'm currently on 37x13.50x17 open countries.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I live in North Dakota but I live out east. I was born here before our oil business was so big. Yes it gets very cold up here, with windchill -60 sometimes. If you have all the proper gear (and something to cover your face) you'll be fine. At first it will feel really cold but it will get better every day as you get more used to it. You should definitely think about putting a heater on your pickup. Almost all of the time a Duramax will start without having it plugged in, but it's better to be nice to it and plug it in. Driving in snow will take a little getting used to, we usually get quite a bit. (More than one or two inches haha). Just be careful driving in it and after a while you will get a feel for it. After you kind of know how to drive in it it's really fun. You can drift like a pro in snow. Also, a lot of people up here go try to get stuck in it just like the guys down south get stuck in the mud. The difference is, you can shovel snow. ;) Also, ND people say "pickup", although there will probably be people from a lot of other states out in western ND. But if you say "truck" in front of someone from ND, you will get s***. Best of luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another thing, at gas stations there's #1 and #2 diesel both available. #2 works fine in the winter as long as you run cetane boost additive. #1 is a little safer but costs a little more. But either will work.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information Tyler. Trying to pick up then proper gear here in Florida is going to be interesting, a lot of online shopping ahead. 😆 If everything works out I'll be up there around April, not sure how cold it is still going to be then but I plan on preparing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd get a gun or 5...and teach your wife to shoot. I've heard it can be a pretty rough place. Vegas ships prostitutes up there cus of the high demand. And living expenses are through the roof. A buddy did get paid $22 an hour to work at Walmart tho haha

·
Registered
458 Posts
If oil prices keep dropping you should get here just about the time everyone is leaving this state. LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
By April it should be starting to get nice out like 50s-60s. And in the summer it's usually 70s or 80s during the day. But we do get 90s and 100s also! Since I'm in the eastern part of the state and have only been out west a few times, the guys that are there are definitely more knowledgeable about that haha. But I've also heard it can get very rough over there so a gun wouldn't be a bad idea, everyone and their grandma in ND has a few guns anyway. However I don't think the shipping prostitutes has a whole lot of truth to it. And if I'm not mistaken most of the oil that we get gets shipped to other countries, and the oil that we use comes in from other countries. It's dumb, but that's how it's done. But I don't think oil prices are going down like this for any other country so I think the demand for ND oil will still be there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's something I never thought of, I need to find out in ND accepts Florida conceal license.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thanks and yes it 4x4, I've done some driving in the snow but nothing more than an inch or two. Would you recommend installing a heat on the block? I run diesel kleen now just to help keep things running smooth. What about tires? I'm currently on 37x13.50x17 open countries.
Your truck already has a block heater from the factory. It is usually bundled up underneath the battery tray. You'll be fine with all terrain tires such as open countries.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Aside from the one special protective apparel piece that I recommended I find Carhartt clothing and coats the best for being outside in cold weather. Boots, I got a pair of Red Wing style 4415's last year. Best ones I have ever had. They pretty much come with everything. BTW shop around for those because not every RW seller sticks you for the msrp.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Work in N.D. for 2 years. Lucky for me the company I worked for had housing in Williston. The oil & gas industry is a great career choice. I miss it a lot. Never though in a million years I would be working on a drilling rig. Start looking for housing NOW. Its crazy expensive. Williston is not a "bad" town as people say. If your looking for trouble you'll find it but I never had any problems. Do you have a job or are you heading up there to find one? There's a ton of people in that area, too much for the current infrastructure. Be careful driving that's the most dangerous part of that area. People going way to fast on the highways. I wish you & your family the best of luck. If you have any questions about jobs or that area in general feel free to PM me. There's a ton of money to be made. Be safe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fortunately I'd be going to an exstisting job and not looking for one. They are offering on site living as well so I wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for a place to live. My family will stay back in Florida for a while until we knew this was a more perminate situation. Yeah they said the town isnt a bad town like you said but trouble is there if you look for it. I appreciate everyone's input. I just looking to make sure I know exactly what to expect about the area.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have been in ND for over three years. Our shop is in Minot which I think is a much nicer town. I would move my family to Minot but not Williston.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
If your arriving in April i wouldn't worry too much about the cold and your tread. Not every diesel is equipped with block heaters either. its a factory option. Most pickups in the deep south more than likely do not have them. I had toyo OC MTs and when December rolled around I put on Mickey Thompson ATZ's love them on the ice. I have several friends working out west in Minot/Williston area and they say its not as bad as people say it is. Good Luck!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts