Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined today. I've got a '02 with an LB7 that has almost 100,000 miles on it. I am getting ready to retire and start towing my 5th wheel. I would like to make some modifications to the engine and drivetain. I don't want a race truck, I will NOT be doing any of the work myself, nor am I capable of "fine tuning" to changing driving conditions. Having said that, what would be my best bet to increase performance and power? I really love myGMC, shortbed extended cab.

Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Welcome, your best bets would more than likely be an Edge EZ box, exhaust, and some EGT and boost gauges. They will help get your 5'er over the mountains and should help a little bit with fuel economy while using the gauges to make sure everything is in check.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Welcome aboard olponts! Turbo has given you some great suggestions....lowering the EGT's would be beneficial when towing the 5th wheel. Just be sure that the system you buy will fit with the hitch and you're good to go! Happy retirement!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My thoughts are -

Edge Evolution - Downloader with Attitude monitor for digital gauges, reads and clears trouble codes, very easy install, should not cost much to have smoeone do for you if you prefer to not do it yourself.

MBRP 4" exhaust. I prefer the off road kit myself, replaces the cat. However there is a chance of setting a code for EGR flow occasionally, which the Evolution can clear for you right away. Also, a finger stick can eliminate that problem. The cat back kits have very little chance of setting the code, and performance is nearly as good as the off road kits. For your application, Either will be much better than stock.

Amsoil replacement air filter, no intake system. The stock intake is pretty good, and you want to inhale as much cool air as possible for mileage. You woun't be making enough power to need a different intake system.

I think this will put together a great towing machine that should give you plenty of power and a decent increase in economy while pulling.

·
Registered
132 Posts
he won't have to worry about replacing a catalytic converter if he has an 02 cuz i don't think he has one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts