Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm buying a 01 ext cab, 4wd truck, it has 4 1/2 inch banks exhaust and a power tuner that you hook in thru the obd port. This guy showed me the different settings where you are adding horse power, 30 when towing something real big, 70 when towing 2000 lbs and 90 when not towing anything. how much extra power will the transmission take with out harming it, or what does the trans need to handle more power. any other words of wisdom would be appricatied

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
typically a stock ally can handle about 85-100 extra horsepower as long as you aren't beating the snot out of it. It varies from truck to truck. If you want to go with more power, look into at a minimum of a transgo shift kit and aftermarket torque converter. If you want to hold big power, go with an ATS or Suncoast set-up. Enjoy your new toy and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
132 Posts
boondockit,

i am in the same situation, i bought my truck a month ago and the guy i bought it from gave me a hypertech III w/ the 3 power settings. i've kept it on stage 1 which seems to be working ok on my stock allison. i haven't noticed any slipping or anything. the original owner said he kept it on stage 2, and he said he's had the programmer since the truck had 70,000 miles and it currently has 131,000, so far so good. i looked on hypertech's website and they had a dyno chart for the 01 duramax, although i'm not sure how acurate their readings are here's the link. http://www.hypertech.com/get_dynochart.php?cid=97&vid=1380945&tp=pdf

1 - 3 of 3 Posts