Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I did look around this forum to find information re part numbers but what I can find is outdated.

Here is some background: I bought my truck from Carmax who advertised power fold camper mirrors. When I found out they did not power fold, Carmax tried to replace them - the driver's side works 100% but they had trouble finding the correct passenger side mirror - they did get a power fold but it was not for a diesel and so got a CEL light. SO my left works great and the right does not power fold.

Long story short, they told me to go to a dealer and they will pay the bill - can't get too upset with that.

So off to the dealer who appears to be in the dark because the truck is 6 years old.

Here's what they say they need so that they can purchase the correct mirror: the VIN from a truck that came with chrome camper mirrors with power fold. I'm not sure I buy that...

Regardless, the build code will be DQS on the sticker in your glove compartment.

Any help, a VIN, or correct current part number would be appreciated.

BTW & FWIW I did find this but it is not clear to me that it will work.

I should mention that the dealer went ahead and ordered part # 84041615 but again, from what I can tell it is not going to be the correct mirror.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
Here is the part number you need 84691685. The number you listed is not power fold.

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is the part number you need 84691685. The number you listed is not power fold.
Thank you for the number. That is a huge help.

That will fit a 2015.5 and will I need a harness? The original build was a DL3.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
Yes that will fit. If you have a 15.5 I believe it should work. If all the lights work like they should with what that dealer put on you are fine.

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
Just in case you have trouble sourcing factory parts, here's another possible route...

Lots of build options on there, but they are a quality supplier and will definitely sell you the correct part for what you need.

Reactions: Duneflier

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t know what they mean by that. It’s got the temp sensor and is power fold so that’s all that matters.
Yes, what I thought. Can't see what one system has to do with the other.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
If it doesn't have the K40 designation and you have a diesel it will throw a code that can't be fixed. Has a temp sensor on the passenger side that works with the diesel engine.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Note: RPO Code - K40 Option (Exhaust Brake) for Diesel Trucks. If you have a Diesel Truck, you will NEED to get the appropriate DL3, DPN, DQS Mirror WITH the K40 Option. This is basically a temperature sensor on the passenger side mirror. Without this, you will get a Check Engine Light (CEL) error come on with an “Ambient Temperature” message on your DIC (Driver Information Center). This is NOT an issue with Gas Trucks. You can install a passenger mirror with the temperature sensor on a gas truck with no issue (I am using a K40 optioned DL3 Mirror on my truck).

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pix show a temp sensor and says it's good for diesel but NOT with e-brake - welcome to my nightmare...

Here's a pic from the listing. Also my local dealer took my word as Gospel and tagged the part onto my work order. So now. they have both part #'s ordered. Pretty impressive for a dealer that I've never been to.
Automotive lighting Automotive design Eyewear Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The saga continues...

Part # 84691685 finally came in. Took another week to get a service appointment.

After 45 minutes in line, I finally get to talk with a service writer. He goes back and brings out the tech that will install the mirror to tell me that it's not going to work. Said he's been down this road before and it's not pretty.

I suggest simply plugging it in to see - sure thing if I pay 2 hours shop fee and BTW once we open the box, you own it either way - parts manager would not play along. So with a $1300 estimate I took the truck home and just wasted 3 weeks.

The worst part is that the window for Carmax's generosity is closing. As you may recall Carmax offered to foot the bill if I could get done it at a dealership. Unless someone has a solution, I'm fed up enough to just live with one power fold and the other not.

Anyone need a driver side non-power fold chrome camper mirror? For sale...make offer -LOL.

·
Super Moderator
1,374 Posts
Call boost auto parts. I bet he can help you.

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
961 Posts
The saga continues...

Part # 84691685 finally came in. Took another week to get a service appointment.

After 45 minutes in line, I finally get to talk with a service writer. He goes back and brings out the tech that will install the mirror to tell me that it's not going to work. Said he's been down this road before and it's not pretty.

I suggest simply plugging it in to see - sure thing if I pay 2 hours shop fee and BTW once we open the box, you own it either way - parts manager would not play along. So with a $1300 estimate I took the truck home and just wasted 3 weeks.

The worst part is that the window for Carmax's generosity is closing. As you may recall Carmax offered to foot the bill if I could get done it at a dealership. Unless someone has a solution, I'm fed up enough to just live with one power fold and the other not.

Anyone need a driver side non-power fold chrome camper mirror? For sale...make offer -LOL.
That guy didn't know a thing. And since when once box is opened it isn’t returnable. If it had the sensor and was power fold it will work. Done it more times than you can count on 4 hands. We put aftermarket, used and new OEM mirrors on our salvage rebuilds all the time. Before 15.5 you don’t need that sensor after 15.5 you need the sensor or the CEL will come on. Its that simple.

Reactions: Jasong

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's another chapter...

Went back to Cmax - new service manager so started all over. %^&* I do keep an excellent paper trail however. Thank God I'm retired or I would have quit this game weeks ago.

Issue 1: I asked where check was for the PTO plate cover leak that they offered to pay (whole 'nuther story). Said $500+ was cut 3 weeks ago and no clue why I hadn't received it. Canceled old check and cut a new one on the spot - week to 10 days and I'll see it. OK, could be a USPS problem...

Issue 2: what this thread is about. Explained situation that I was not willing to gamble on some newbie's say-so (agree with Nate D - young kid DKS and afraid to put a black mark on his time card). And how would you like to proceed with getting my mirrors to operate as advertised?

Was told to stand by while he accomplished one of the following:
  • Receives correct parts & information - his least preferred option. Not going to happen IMHO.
  • Cmax to open an account with my local Chevy dealership in order to fund whatever it takes to get the mirrors to operate as advertised - shuttle service included. No $$$ limit. Preferred option.
  • Find a different reasonably-close Chevy dealership with account that can accomplish the goal. Set up account if one does not exist. Perhaps send me to a closer Cmax in order to deal with local Chevy dealership. No $$$ limit with shuttle. Option 2.

All due respect and thanks to Nate Dmax, BIG thank you for staying in this thread with me, but they aren't willing to take the word "of some guy on the internet." My paraphrased words, not theirs, but you get the gist. Nonetheless, I can see their side, too.

So, as of this writing, I await a call from Carmax letting me know what comes next. I have no bad things to say about Carmax... it appears they are doing their best with what they have to work to make me a satisfied customer.

I'll follow up in a week with CM if all I get is radio silence which I fully expect. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Have you tried a GMC dealership, it will be the same thing. Also, I’ve had to replace my driver side and did it myself with basic tools and trim removal tools

·
Registered
2015 Duramax LTZ Z71
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you tried a GMC dealership, it will be the same thing. Also, I’ve had to replace my driver side and did it myself with basic tools and trim removal tools
No but maybe in the future.

For now I’m thinking to let CM run their course and let them run heard over the dealerships.

The next closest GM/Chevy dealer is some distance away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts