Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering never works 100% when im trying to make turns at low speed(low rpm). Its almost like the power steering turns off. In addition to that the brakes feel mushy and i can feel some vibration in the pedal. The steering wheel also seems to have a little bit of play. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
i would check the serpentine belt that was my problem it could be rubbing somewhere

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a similar problem and have had it since day ONE. No leaks. Serpentine belt is fine. 80K mile. 2005 3500, SRW, 4x4, crewcab. It always happens when at idle and maneuvering in parking lot. Increased effort to steer/brake. System will growl if I push it hard enough. Never stops working, just doesn't seem like there is enough hydraulic capacity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone have any additional information on the break booster pump. seems as though the power steering side just behind the master cylinder is exibiting some residual fluid, just wondering if it may be common. it leaves an aweful stain on the street and really want to consider getting it fixed. thanks for any help.i also have the 95 3500 drw 6.5 litre.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ding, Ding: you have found one of the hidden problems. Chevy has a service bulletin on this issue. It does not have a repair option.

The hydraulic brakes system gets it power from the power steering pump. I beleive that when the brake is applied repetitive and multiple times the pump is unable to maintain power for the steering box, and can end up with loud noises and eventually the steer column locking up unless you allow power to transfer from the brakes to the power steering.

My condition starts when backing my boat down the driveway. Last I checked, the bulletin cover 1999 through 2004 (?2005) (trucks, sub, yukons, hummers, hd and non-hd). It is one of the reasons I do not have new truck

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
There is night and day difference in mine since I flushed the PS system. I had no leaks though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Maybe I should not have tried getting it fixed under warrenty.

The bulletin was locate during the warranty period. I have not had the dealer pull up new updates on the steering in a while. The dealer had attempted a few things before finding the bulletin: flush and replacing something ( i need to see if it was the valve in the pump.) After locating the bulletin, it issues a do not fix order. ...no repairs available.

Since it is out of warranty, may be the aftermarket industry has stepped up to the plate. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
back again

After using the latest bulletin, the Lucas flush did not work. Seems to be getting worst. I hope to find an after market pump.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am pulling bits and pieces as I find them from my GM Service Repair DVD. It is like trying to read an IBM manual (I programmed mainframes for 25 years). So here goes, maybe some of these will help. The first one documents a part that can be used to fix the issue, the 2nd one, is probably the one that was found where it says to not do anything

If you have a VIN check done with all warranty/GM service done, you should be able to see if the pressure control valve was replaced

Lack of Steering Assist or Shudder During Parking Lot Type Maneuvers - kw power assist oil no hard noise booster hydraulic slow low speed bind trailer weak #PIT3386 - (Jan 17, 2005)

Please follow normal diagnostics in SI for this condition. If the customer situation warrants a repair, replace the current pressure control valve with part number 26095470 available from GMSPO. This valve will provide additional steering assist during parking lot type maneuvers. If this concern only occurs when stopped and brake applied, please reference PIT3310.

99 - 05 Chrevolet/GMC/Cadillac/Hummer H2 all Full Size Trucks Utilities and Vans Lack of Steering Assist when Stopped or During Parking Lot Type Maneuvers - kw brake power oil hard noise booster low #PIT3310 - (Dec 9, 2004)

Please follow normal diagnostics in SI2000 for this condition. If vehicle passes the Power Steering Pressure Test Procedure this may be a normal condition. A lack of steering assist could occur if the brakes are applied and turning the steer wheel with the vehicle stopped or during parking lot type maneuvers . No repairs should be attempted as this is a characteristic of the vehicle. Any customer concerns should be referred to the Area Vehicle Manager (AVM) and a Field Product Report should be submitted by following bulletin 02-00-89-002C

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got back from dealership today (Friday)

Ok, there is a systemic problem with the system. I first tried working with a dealership close to the house after getting the truck in ~2004. With a few trips to the dealership with possible fixes, they found a bulletin which finally said "do not repair". This summer I checked for updates which picked up even more vehicles and it recommend a different flush for the vehicle.... less than a couple of months and it is worst that having the flush. After the first tries, I drained most of the fluid and replaced it with some synthetic fluid and will try it again later next week.

Today's discussion with the GMC mechanic was to "not hold my foot on the break so much". He had just finished putting a vacuum pump on the truck which a swap out for a bad pump that the Huntsville AL dealership replaced and was making noise {service manager refused to replace-- Customer care was in the loop}. After a test drive, he was thinking a weak power steering pump (1st) then the hydro-boost (2nd).

Latest symptoms: crank truck, stiff steering without touching the brakes, not in gear. When put in gear, there is a feeling of no breaks- press breaks hard (glad my wife and kids were not driving). Cut the truck off and back on: functioning fine. I almost think the truck needed a larger steering pump or a pump just for the brakes. It may be due to a heat build up issue or low pressure when sharing the fluids with the brake and steering. Hmm, may be I can record the temps on the fluids during operations, although this week has been cooler.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali 2500 HD Duramax Black Diamond Edition
16 Posts
My power steering never works 100% when im trying to make turns at low speed(low rpm). Its almost like the power steering turns off.
Sorry about reviving an old post but I'm having this same problem with my 2011 2500HD Z71. Dealer installed new pump but no changes. Anyone else seeing this?

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Sorry about reviving an old post but I'm having this same problem with my 2011 2500HD Z71. Dealer installed new pump but no changes. Anyone else seeing this?
Yep. Totally normal when dealing with a hydroboost equipped vehicle that relies on power steering pump pressure to turn the wheels. The problem gets compounded by larger wheels and tires. Give it a tiny bit of throttle and it will work just fine.

Reactions: spyder1957

·
Registered
301 Posts
my 06 does the same thing whenever i'm in parking lots and trying to park or backing into my driveway. i wondered if it was normal or something was wrong but after reading this it appears to be normal for these trucks. my truck is lifted as well so as stated before i guess that makes it worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Status update: 2004 GMC K2500 duramax

I ended up with too many problems occurring to close together. After the local shop installed a bad boost pump (they refused to replace). I had a different dealership replace it a week later. When I picked it up from that dealership, the condition returned in the parking lot. They suggested the hydro-boost replacement. I found some "Purple" oil company synthetic power steering oil. I did not work as well. ...On a trip the truck died at 70 mph on I59 and rolled to the side while my wife was driving...faults in electrical system....I got a F250.

The earlier solution I found was to use the Pennzoil synthetic power steering oil. I had to fill and drain a couple times to purge the old oil. It has been discontinued. I just called them and ask for them to bring it back. The lady was will to walk through the GM bulletins and follow the issue. Hope, they bring it back!

From the research I found, I talked to two tech guys at Purple folks about the issue. One of them indicted that their Ford Mustang had a steering pump cooler in the system. Apparently other Ford vehicle are also using cooler on the power steering system. They mentioned that adding a steering fluid cooler would help cool the fluid and give a little more volume of fluid to circulate. I did not get a chance to it, but I was going to be a leading candidate on the next thing to try.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Denali 2500 HD Duramax Black Diamond Edition
16 Posts
Very aggravating especially when backing a trailer. I am willing to try an aftermarket fix but don't see how a cooler would help. My problem is hot or cold. I did not have this issue on my '03 2500 HD.

·
Its just a worktruck
13,908 Posts
Very aggravating especially when backing a trailer. I am willing to try an aftermarket fix but don't see how a cooler would help. My problem is hot or cold. I did not have this issue on my '03 2500 HD.
I cant stand when it happens while backing up a trailer. Makes me want to drive my truck into a wall. I also had a few guys tell me to switch to synthetic PS fluid. I think theres a company called Red Head steering that makes an upgraded pump and steering box.

Was your other truck gas?

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
If you want to increase the pump pressure-- here is the way. Do this on your own-- I am NOT responsible for any damage or injury it may cause.

The pump puts out constant pressure, but is regulated by a flow valve in the pump. Sometimes the flow valve screen gets plugged, or the spring becomes weak, which reduces power to the steering and brakes.

Remove the high pressure line from the pump-- you should be able to do this without removing the pump, but may have to remove the driver's inner fender skirt for access. Now remove the fitting from the pump-- the valve is under the fitting, and there is also a spring. remember how they come out-- they have to go back the same way.

Now clean the screen with solvent or carb cleaner. Grip the valve with a good pair of vice grips. [the nut also holds the screen]--NOT ON THE MACHINED PART] now turn the nut in as much as you want-- but be careful--maybe a 1/2 turn. The pump already operates on high pressure around 2500lbs. Increasing the pressure may damage the pump, or other parts. That should help, unless the hydro/and/or steering gear are worn.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts