Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I own a 2006 GMC Savana 3500 that is having a strange issue.

The power steering has gotten tighter and tighter with time, and for some reason when I brake, just before I come to a complete stop the pressure in the brake pedal releases, the brake makes a strange moaning sound, and the steering wheel turns by itself to the right almost a six of a turn. Not sure if the power steering issue and brake issue are related, but I think it is very odd that when I hit the brakes the wheel always turns to the right.

When I purchased the vehicle the steering was a little resistant in certain parts of the turn but still easily drivable, and I checked the fluid and it was dark and smelled burnt. So I changed the fluid completely (flush) and even added some of the Lucas power steering fixer. After draining out the old fluid, when putting the new fluid in with the Lucas and turning the wheel slowly back and forth, it turned very easily from side to side with one finger, seemed to be working great. Short test drive when all was complete showed the problem resolved, wheel turned easily (late at night, didn't go far).

At the same time I also changed the brake fluid and bled the brakes well to try and solve the brake issue. Test drive showed that the brake problem remained, only this time, instead of the brake losing some pressure at the end of the braking cycle and the wheel turning to the right, the brake pedal pressed back against my foot some at the end, and the wheel would still turn to the right. Hm. The van still stopped fine though when needed so though it would be ok to drive.

Next day I had to drive 40 miles, and about 5 miles in, the steering wheel was slowly getting stiffer, and then stiffer, and stiffer, to the point where by the time I got back the wheel was VERY hard to turn. Brake issue remained the same.

Not sure what it could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
check your steering shafts. Easy way to troubleshoot is to spray all the knuckles with pb blaster and let sit then drive. If it's easy then replace the shaft. There's an upper and lower shaft. They rust to hell and go bad real easy in these vans. The moaning I'd take a look at the hyd booster. Troubleshoot one thing at a time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like your brake issue could be one of your antilock sensors on the front hub assembly. Pretty common gm problem. I think you can clean them instead of replacing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts