Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need a schematic of the power steering system. I've got a leak on the part behind the brake reservoir. there are 2 high pressure lines and a return line going to it. It is leaking at the joint between this mystery part and the brake res. I believe it is a booster unit for the brake system that is supplied by the power steering pressure. No idea what to call it, I can take a picture tomorrow if that would help.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hydroboost. I'm going through the same thing right now. Going to replace it in the next couple days

·
Registered
404 Posts
mine is leaking at both flanges also, is there any way to fix this besides changing the whole thing out?

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
....is there any way to fix this besides changing the whole thing out?
No. The good side is, it's easy to change out with simple tools in less than 30m. The bad side is, it's a dealer item for around $400. Cardone remans can be had for less.

Add this to your maintenance schedule to prolong the life of the HB unit.
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/h...wer-steering-hydro-boost-flush.html#post73016
High heat levels and Old, burnt fluid contributes to shaft and seal wear inside. Cheap and easy to do, and needed when you change out the unit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
mine is leaking at both flanges also, is there any way to fix this besides changing the whole thing out?
Yeah I don't think so. I asked the stealership to see how much the part was and they wanted 600 plus 400 for labor...bunch of crooks. I got it for 190 at checkers/o'reillys

·
Registered
404 Posts
just bought mine today at oreillys, going to try and put it on this afternoon and thanks for the dyi hookem horns

·
Registered
404 Posts
changed mine out last night...took me about 2 1/2 hours but thats with some beer breaks... the hardest part to me was the four nuts on the inside of the firewall under the dash.

·
Registered
92 Posts
changed mine out last night...took me about 2 1/2 hours but thats with some beer breaks... the hardest part to me was the four nuts on the inside of the firewall under the dash.
:cool:Mines leaking as well. You wouldnt have a part number would you? Some pointers would be great too. Thanks Amigos:cool:

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
GM part #15854059 Heyyaa

·
Registered
404 Posts
part # at oreilly's 93-0394-52...it wasnt to bad the four nuts under the dash were a pain

·
Registered
92 Posts
:cool:How funny...The number I got from the dealer is 20759772 for a Hydrobooster/Power Brake Booster and it was $281.82(No Warranty). Vato Zone part number is 914283(Reman. Cardone Hydroboost) for $183.99 and a limited lifetime warranty with a $35 core charge. I wasnt sure if it was the right one so went over for a look and seemed to be the one. Wish me Luck. Thanks Amigos:cool:

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
part # at oreilly's 93-0394-52...it wasnt to bad the four nuts under the dash were a pain
Ratchet Wrench makes short work of it. :D

Not sure if they have a new GM part #, that one's a bit cheaper... right or wrong, it is listed as a booster though.

GM PART # 15854059
CATEGORY: All
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00

List Price: $598.90
Price: $305.44
You Save: $293.46 (49%)
I hate how AutoShux does "Lifetime Warranty" on some things. Buy it, and if it breaks ('cause it's usually crap) in your Lifetime, they replace it. When the replacement breaks, "Sorry...."

·
Registered
322 Posts
Has anybody else replaced theres with an Oreillys brake booster with success?

Mines leaking between the reservoir and booster as well.

I've had good luck with Oreilly parts but was just curious being it's half the price of a GM one.
If they're fine I'll just get one from them, replace mine, and save a little extra money.

Hook'em_Horns
Have you had any experience with Cardone remans before?

Thanks for your right up as well. I need to flush my power steering fluid and brake fluid. My brakes aren't too good and my steering is hard. I hope I don't have to replace my power steering pump.

Thanks for you help everybody,
Yellowchevy

·
Registered
404 Posts
as long as you own your truck and keep the receipt they said its a lifetime warranty!!!
i flushed my power steering fluid by the write up HORNS gave and it was real simple, the only thing i did differently was get a clear hose and then tie wrap the hose to the pan.
i bought three quarts of power steering fluid and pumped two to clean it out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
:cool:After following Hook ems instructions on the flush I picked up my Hydro Booster from Auto Sike. I was ready to give them the old one but you have to reuse the master cylinder spring. Once I got home I through that baby on and went for a test run. All went well but today is going to be a tru test. I've got to twist a loaded 40 footer all over town. Hopefully I don't have a lammo part that's going to gush fluid all over my truck. That fluid really eats up the truck. Go with it my Friends.:cool:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks everybody, I'll have to pick one up this weekend and replace it. Does it come with all the gaskets needed? Just seeing if I need to get anything else.

Thanks,
Yellowchevy

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,485 Posts
There are no gaskets. You’ll need to flush the system though, so add in 3-4 qts of PS fluid.

Open the PS reservoir cap to release pressure. Remove the hard lines and the return hose. Remove the two nuts from the studs attaching the MC (leaving brake lines intact). There’s enough slack in the tubing to push the MC forward and away. Inside, remove the rod’s clip at the pedal. Remove the 4 nuts from the studs through the firewall, and remove the unit.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That's nice there are no gaskets.
I was planning on flushing both the power steering and brake fluid; I was just going to get a gallon of power steering and brake fluid from Oreillys at the same time i get the hydro boost unit.

My pickups got 94k miles on it and I'll guaranty you that the power steering and brake fluid is original.
I've noticed some fluid on the concrete where I park so I'm afraid I'm going to need a new pump or steering box. I haven't looked to hard yet but I'm hoping I don't. There hasn't been much fluid on the ground, small amount.

Thanks for the help Hookem_Horns, great write up by the way for power steering and brake fluid flush.
Hopefully I'll replace the hydro boost, flush the power steering, and brake fluid this weekend.

Yellowchevy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's nice there are no gaskets.
I was planning on flushing both the power steering and brake fluid; I was just going to get a gallon of power steering and brake fluid from Oreillys at the same time i get the hydro boost unit.

My pickups got 94k miles on it and I'll guaranty you that the power steering and brake fluid is original.
I've noticed some fluid on the concrete where I park so I'm afraid I'm going to need a new pump or steering box. I haven't looked to hard yet but I'm hoping I don't. There hasn't been much fluid on the ground, small amount.

Thanks for the help Hookem_Horns, great write up by the way for power steering and brake fluid flush.
Hopefully I'll replace the hydro boost, flush the power steering, and brake fluid this weekend.

Yellowchevy.
Go with the oreillys part. I just got it from them for $200 and changed it out and it's working great so far. As far as the fluid on the ground, I would assume it's p/s fluid leaking from the joint between the master cylinder and hydroboost

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just got one from Oreillys, put it on friday afternoon. I've had to work on worse things :rolleyes: It wasn't bad.
After hooking everything up I flushed my power steering system. I'm sure that's the first time that's ever been done. The first thing that came out looked like sand or gravel.

I will being flushing the system again to keep my pump and hydro boost in good shape.

Thanks again Hook'em Horns for the writeup.

Yellowchevy

1 - 20 of 27 Posts