Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 GMC 3500hd 6.6 LML
I recently had to replace my steering gear box which was full of shredded metal. I replaced the gear box, power steering pump, cleaned all the lines, and replaced the hydro boost while I was in there. I’ve replaced and torn the whole system apart 3 times now due to back pressure. After putting in all new parts besides the cooler and after bleeding the whole system all 3 times I am still having power steering fluid come out of the cap and all over the driver side wheel well. No leaks in hoses, connections, hydro boost. Only place that fluid comes from is the cap on the power steering fluid reservoir.
Truck is now at a local shop and the guys are just as confused as I am. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
2012 GMC 3500hd 6.6 LML
I recently had to replace my steering gear box which was full of shredded metal. I replaced the gear box, power steering pump, cleaned all the lines, and replaced the hydro boost while I was in there. I’ve replaced and torn the whole system apart 3 times now due to back pressure. After putting in all new parts besides the cooler and after bleeding the whole system all 3 times I am still having power steering fluid come out of the cap and all over the driver side wheel well. No leaks in hoses, connections, hydro boost. Only place that fluid comes from is the cap on the power steering fluid reservoir.
Truck is now at a local shop and the guys are just as confused as I am. Any help is appreciated.
You did or didn’t replace the cooler? Will it just push fluid out with the engine at idle speed?
Applying the brakes?
Turning the wheel?
If it happens when turning the wheel, does it happen when turning the wheel in just one direction or both?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You did or didn’t replace the cooler? Will it just push fluid out with the engine at idle speed?
Applying the brakes?
Turning the wheel?
If it happens when turning the wheel, does it happen when turning the wheel in just one direction or both?
I have not replaced the cooler. Does not do it at idle speed. Applying the brakes is what causes the fluid to come up out from the cap as well as turning the wheel either direction.
Applying the brakes?
Turning the wheel?

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I have not replaced the cooler. Does not do it at idle speed. Applying the brakes is what causes the fluid to come up out from the cap as well as turning the wheel either direction.
Doubtful but bypass/loop the cooler and try it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll try that tomorrow. That’s the last thing I thought of as well. If all lines are cleaned thoroughly and replaced with new gear box, and pump that only leaves the cooler. Only thing I can think of is if there is a large size piece of metal stuck in that cooler that I couldn’t get out by flushing it and it’s causing flow restriction coming back on the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts