Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my power steering pump is whining way to much, i think i need to replace it. does anybody know if there is a more heavy duty one out there? where can i get one? thanx

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
is it leaking fluid ? or just whining ? i would check the lines to/from the hydroboost and what not before replacing the pump

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not leaking. just whining real bad when i go to make a turn.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Mine doesn't leak nor does it whine but it sure is a lot harder to turn than my buddies old f250. Both of us run 35's.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i only got 33's and when i come up to a turn it whines really bad so i think its the box. but if i replace it i would like to get some sort of heavy duty one if there is even one out there. only thing i found to help was a hydraulic assist. but thats 2k!

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
get a pump, flush the fluid, put a cooler on it.

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Check the fluid level first, when doing the hydro boost flush you'll notice it whine alot when it gets low on fluid when bleeding the system.

·
Premium Member
26,485 Posts
...but it sure is a lot harder to turn than my buddies old f250.
Different ratios...you'll also have to turn the Fjord's steering wheel much farther to complete a turn, AND, you'll also have more pull-ups when trying to back a trailer in (2-3 extra times in my case, backing in a GN trailer to it's storage locale). It's really a pain when I get stuck in a F350 for the day, almost feels like I'm steering an F650 Bobtail compared to the HD. :cool:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im going to try flushing it. but if that doesnt work my original question hasnt been answered. is there a heavy duty steering box out there? one better and tougher than the stock one?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
well if it only does it when you turn, have you jacked up the front end to check to see if it does it without weight on the ground? When you have it jacked up, check for excessive lateral movement in the wheels..

Sounds like a wheel bearing to me.. they whine/moan in our application..

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no i havent tried lifting the front tires. it doesnt sound like a wheel bearing. it sounds and feels like power steering. it feels in the steering wheel like power steering like my old chevy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts