Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Powerglide behind an LB7

10K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  WishforaDMax 
#1 ·
im doing a swap into a camaro and wonder with the low power band would a powerglide be a good trans to have behind a duramax

#4 ·
Will you be able to keep the motor in the power band with only 2 gears?

#6 ·
IIRC, the old cast iron PG trans will hold together much better when built than the aluminum cases, if you can find one....

#9 ·
#10 ·
there are powerglides behind alot of turbo drag cars 1000 hp plus so they should be able to handle it just thinking if its would be worth it

turbo cars use it to keep in the boost longer so it should be able to do the same

I dont know anything about powerglides so I dont know the workings ect

#18 ·
Agreed:rofl:drink

#15 ·
so are you realizing that this is being powered by a diesel engine?
to where the torque is almost twice the hp!

might wanna listen to mike L... just a thought :rolleyes:

#19 ·
If you knew anything about transmissions you would realize that bands cannot hold big power for very long. They either burn or break. Did you ever bother to do a search and see how many passes these PG's will give you. Usually 2 to 3 if you're lucky.
Making 1,000 TQ at 5-6-7-8K rpms is a whole lot different than making 1500-2,000 at 2K rpm's. Diesels are brutal.
Take you gas engine with 1,000 hp and 1,000 tq and compare it to a 350hp and 700 tq diesel and pull a 16,000 trailer.

#20 ·
I'd rock the 4l80e... that's just me

They came in the duramax equipped express vans. Which are about 1000 lbs heavier than your turd gen camaro. Weight is big variable in transmissions.

I'd say get a nice spragless manual valve body 4l80e and a quality billet multi disk converter and you should be good. Might run you about $5000+ but you gotta pay to play

P.S. and I wouldn't get to happy with a programmer on the duramax either with a 4l80e

#22 ·
even if i was a 100 percent sure that im right......... i would still listen to mike L over just about anyone elses opinions when it comes to a transmission to hook up to a duramax.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.