Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put the Powerstop Z36 front brake kit on my 2012. They feel great but they are hot! I think they are dragging and this is not the normal brake in. When I say hot I mean the entire front wheel is hot. This can鈥檛 be good. Any explanations?

Registered
I installed the Z36 kit on my 2011 a few months ago and can't say I've experienced the same. Although I haven't really been checking for temperature... Did you replace any of your calipers? I had to replace all four of mine because the slide pins were SEIZED, like really bad, all of them. The dust boot really does a piss poor job of keeping salt and road debris out. I never had that problem on my 03 which had the older caliper design.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
I didn鈥檛 replace the calipers. Just put the pads in and slid them back on. Just like I have done for years.

Tonight I took the drivers side completely apart. Nothing was seized. The pistons moved fine too. The only thing I can think of now is my buddy suggested adjusting the pushrod in the master cylinder. Something about it may be pushing to far creating to much pressure.

Well I ripped one of the dust boots on the rear piston shooting them out. They was the only one that popped out when I put air pressure to it. I couldnt really get the other one to move. Ive given up after trying to bleed the system without a bleeder or the proper fittings for the use of a compressor. So its back together, no brakes, and taking it to the shop in the am. I should have just taken it to them today.

Its been in the shop for over a week getting all new steering parts and a Cognito leveling kit. I started that too but 10 hours later and what I think is a torn tendon, I gave up and took it in. I just dont have the time for this stuff. o_O:confused::cool:

Registered
Bla bla bla. Get a haircut and get a real job

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #5

Registered
I put the z36 pads and drilled/slotted rotors all around on my 16 Denali and have had 0 issues!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, we found out the pistons were seized in the stock 200k + mile calipers. I guess it took me pushing them back into it for them to get stuck once pressure was re applied. Getting new ones put on today.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Flush fluid annually....keep it clean and won't repeat.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Hook Em鈥, ya it was weird because I flushed the system last year. Inside the caliper was pretty clean too. Maybe a bad o ring, not sure. I never was able to get the other piston out and didn鈥檛 take apart the pass side. The passenger side was worse tho. I could free spin the wheel at all. A 2lb hammer freed it up though.

Registered
You can push them in crooked

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
So turns out the Powerstop z36 kit I ordered came with the wrong pads. They were just slightly to large and wouldn鈥檛 allow the slide to come back after I let off the pedals. I鈥檝e been back and forth with AutoAnything. They said it鈥檚 Powerstops issue because it came from them directly but I say nay nay. I ordered from you. I had to spend 535$ getting new calipers and pads because of it.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Can't go wrong with replacing with the OE (not OEM) pad kits. Ceramic, last the longest, and each pair comes with a new set of pin boots. Sometimes @ twice the price, but....you get what you pay for. (y) (y)

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Yup. That鈥檚 exactly what they put in there.

LHN...We ARE the Joneses
Well then....you're probably good for 200k again. 馃殯

Registered
I would only use OEM on mine. 115K and they still look like new.

Premium Member
We've got the power stop setup on the 2011, rotors, pads and calipers with zero problems and greatly improved braking. Just our experience.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out I should have just ordered directly from power stop. I contacted them and they gave me a full refund. Thanks to their coordination I鈥檒l def buy from them again. As for AutoNothing. I鈥檓 not impressed how they pushed back so hard saying it wasn鈥檛 their problem. I get it- revenue protection and all that, but I figure they have a good relationship with their vendors and would take care customers first and handle the problem in house later. But maybe I鈥檓 alone in that thought. Anyhow, it鈥檚 all good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts