Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just refueled the tank for the first time since I got the new programmer. Fuel milage actually went down to 15.6 hand calculated. I was getting about 16MPG when stock. So I decided to go from level 3 = 160HP to level 2=90 on my programmer. Hooked the programmer up changed the level, PPE froze on me. I unhooked/turned the key off and nothing. Truck would not turn over as it had no program installed. I called PPE on the phone for 20 minutes did not receive very good support. He could not help me! Truck would not recognize VIN # and would not go past that page. After I got off the phone I disconnected the batteries, tried again and nothing, I playing around with the programmer for a few and found return to stock setting and it worked. Went back to stock, then was able to select level two after it was stock. So will see how level two does. I was hoping for at least 17MPG, I don't beat on my truck I drive it normal usually don't go much above 2400RPM! I asked the guy at PPE and he said if the truck had a programmer before that the ECM could be no back to stock.... Basically that I should get my truck reflashed and then put the programmer on. Should I return the programmer?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
it did that to me my first time. do you have aftermarket trailer breaks? if so unplug them and make sure you pull all the fuses. also i believe level 3 is 120

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled everything, I do have an aftermarket brake controller. Pulled radio, info and pulled the wire harness plug out from the back of the brake controller. Why would that cause me to get worse fuel milage?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^there's something funky about setting up PPE's stuff sometimes. They can be very finnicky about not taking the tune correctly if any other electronics are on/powered up at the time you load the program, which is why he was inquiring.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Return that beotch and get a tuned ECM. A lot better fuel econ and better tunes. I'm sitting at 20 hand calcd average.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, I always return it back to stock before changing to another tune. Seems to work for me.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. I switched to level 2 90HP and waiting to refuel. milages is the highest I have seen, but I drove more highway on this tank.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I pulled everything, I do have an aftermarket brake controller. Pulled radio, info and pulled the wire harness plug out from the back of the brake controller. Why would that cause me to get worse fuel milage?

Get the LLY turbo mouthpiece changed out for a LBZ one, that will definetely help. You should be around 20 mpg with the PPE program on level 2.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
The PPE is a good tuner and the best canned tuner. It is important when loading the tune, that you pull the fuses, turn everything off, and don't open/close doors.

The Tuner does confuse the DIC-- so do not go by that, when checking fuel used, or economy.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get the LLY turbo mouthpiece changed out for a LBZ one, that will definetely help. You should be around 20 mpg with the PPE program on level 2.
I thought my lly motor was the same except for I don't have the LBZ tune?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If u got the lly there's alot diff from the lbz. And I got PPE hot 2 and I love it. Only had one problem with it. Took the truck too dealer for new turbo under warranty. So tuned truck back too stock. They fixed truck. Soo went too re tune truck and all my shit locked up. Like urs did truck would no start or do nuttn. But talked too PPE and sent my Ecu and the programmer back too them and they re flashed both of them for free. Got em back hooked all it back up and truck ran great. But PPE said that dealer Probly hooked it too their computer and then when u try too retune ur truck its like two computers speakn diff langs. But there's my 2 cent

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
YES-- the 2006 LLY is exactly the same as a LBZ-- only difference is lower horsepower.

·
Registered
542 Posts
One thing to remember when doing a flash is to keep voltage up with a battery charger. The factory requires the dealers to use a battery maintainer whenever they do a reflash to keep the ecu from getting wiped.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts