Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to buy a programmer. The two I have in mind are the PPE Duramax *Economy* Xcellerator Power Programmer and the Diablo Sport Predator Programmer. I do a lot of towing and do not want to have to do any mods to my Allison. Which one should I co with? :confused:

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
The diablo is what they call a good "Bang for your buck". It's 300.00 and if works pretty well from what I've been told. But the PPE is better and gives you more options. If you don't want to do any mods to your Tranny then DO NOT go over 90 extra HP. And if you are going to be towing...get a Pyrometer to monitor your EGT's. Both the Diablo and PPE will give you 90HP. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend and how many options you want. I personally am going to go with PPE because when I called them...they guaranteed it wouldn't LIMP my tranny at 90, and mess my engine up. And if it did by chance....they would pay for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. PPE it is. Going buy it right now.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
The diablo is what they call a good "Bang for your buck". It's 300.00 and if works pretty well from what I've been told. But the PPE is better and gives you more options. If you don't want to do any mods to your Tranny then DO NOT go over 90 extra HP. And if you are going to be towing...get a Pyrometer to monitor your EGT's. Both the Diablo and PPE will give you 90HP. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend and how many options you want. I personally am going to go with PPE because when I called them...they guaranteed it wouldn't LIMP my tranny at 90, and mess my engine up. And if it did by chance....they would pay for it.

Are they going to put that in writing? If not, I would not go by a phone call with anyone. You might want to see if there is any fine print on that. I can almost bet that you will eventually be able to limp the tranny on 90 setting. I limp mine pretty easily on about 80 hp if I'm not careful.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
if you keep the WOT in the highers to a minimum you will never limp the tranny if it's under 100hp over stock,after doing some searching and calling guys that have lots of tranny knowledge i found out every time the allison tranny went into limp mode it had been under a hard throttle in the higher gears..

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Thats something I didn't really ask about ( the writing thing ). I just called to ask him a couple questions about gas mileage...and the guy told me that they recommend running the 90HP for everything because it guarantee's it won't limp the tranny, even while racing. And that EDGE had to cough up alot of money to replace peoples engines and trannys, where PPE had only a couple instances in 12 years. And he told me it was a one year warranty.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
I highly doubt Edge replaced people's engines and trannys since there is a disclaimer about running on higher power settings. I'm sure that PPE has the same disclaimer. I know that Bully Dog and Predator has disclaimers that you have to read before loading the tunes in and you have to agree to them.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
ONe thing to remember is the ppe's 90 hp claim is a flywheel # so its probally only about 60 to 70 at the wheels where a predator is rated at the wheels with there 85 hp tune. PPE is top notch stuff there customer service leaves some to be desired though, Ive been waiting 3 months for a call back about my turbo kit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ppe is the way to go. The longer you run the program in your truck the tcm and other communicating modules will learn the parameters. I've been running PPE in my truck for about 18 months. 8 of those months on the 220 hp. I've even towed with this setting. I hit limp mode when i first used it since then never. It was at high gear. I guess it skips a gear because of torque and the tcm reads wrong gear shift. The only problem i have is that my tires break ground everytime and is costly when you have $1000 tires. PPE no doubt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts