Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I installed my PPE programer with the setting on "2" 90HP additional, I get a very noticeable rattle when it launches. I really notice it from a dead stop and gun it. It will leap with no turbo lag but it sounds like detonation.

My buddy just got a Hypertech for his LBZ and he has no "rattle" with his on setting 2 but he doesn't have the take off power I have.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm concerned I may be causing some premature damage to my motor. I dropped the setting down to 1, it's not as bad but rattle is definitely there.

·
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?
3,162 Posts
IT just a little timing rattle nothing to worry about unless it starts sounding like a cummins! THe hypertech programer is real conservative on timing and power for that matter. THe ppe will get better milage because of the slight rattle:cool !

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i have the ppe hot et the highest setting is 300hp 460tq,it will really run on the high setting but the transmission really hates it.i never had any problems with it,i've had it now for little over 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the ppe hot et the highest setting is 300hp 460tq,it will really run on the high setting but the transmission really hates it.i never had any problems with it,i've had it now for little over 20,000 miles.
Did you notice a destinctive "rattle" after installing it? I'm nervous because it does sound similar to a Cummins. Not as loud but definitely noticeable.

·
3,162 Posts
timing rattle is nothing to worry about, if they didnt raise the timing you would have crazy egts and lots of smoke with no power. You ought to hear som of the 450+rwhp efi live tunes i rune they will make you cringe if your only used to a stock dmax! The timing rattle will be way more noticeable in the cold weather and with a cold engine!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks BK. I really like this truck and don't want to prematurely break it. I was told the use of a programmer will void the motor warranty. Even if you return the motor back to stock settings prior to takeing it in, a GM programmer can see the trucks stock programming was changed.

·
3,162 Posts
Thanks BK. I really like this truck and don't want to prematurely break it. I was told the use of a programmer will void the motor warranty. Even if you return the motor back to stock settings prior to takeing it in, a GM programmer can see the trucks stock programming was changed.

THey tell you this but i have yet to meet one who can really do it!
As far as i know the only thing they can see is amount of times the ecm was flashed and even then it takes more than you everyday shop mechanic to figure it out!!!!! Just make sure it is stock when you take it in as if it is still tunes they can see thet it is running on different tables in the ecm if they scan it!

It hard to say how much rattle is ok and how much is not ok, if you think its totally to much you might want to send the tuner in, but it is normal to get more rattle with each power level you add! The rattle will probally be worst at about 22 2400 rpms under light throttle as this is when the pilot injection shuts off also!

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
Did you notice a destinctive "rattle" after installing it? I'm nervous because it does sound similar to a Cummins. Not as loud but definitely noticeable.
i guess i never really noticed it to much,it does have a real small rattle when the truck is cold,i also have 06 lbz 2500HD sierra with the ppe on it but it doesn't have any rattle at all:cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
rattle, when warmed up, is telling you that BMEP (cylinder pressure) at TDC is climbing very high. Overtiming. It is stressful and costly over time, and not worth the extra 1/2 mpg. There have been products rushed to market. i would err on caution, and settle for the tune that doesn't rattle, all else being the same. Leave rattle for those who can monitor the timing changes. That's my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts