Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Ppe race plug for my lmm. I just seen an old thread where it might not be the best idea to use one because of pressure spikes. I don't want to hurt these injectors. They are a little pricey to be hurting with a $30 plug. What do yall think

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Don't be afraid to use the rail plug. I have yet to hear a single case of a race valve/rail plug causing damage to someone's fuel system.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen lots of people running them, and I think everyone that says it could hurt is just theoretically talking

·
Registered
507 Posts
Pressure spikes can cause problems, people who say it can't are only lying to themselves.

·
Registered
06 ccsb lbz stock and rusty
1,597 Posts
Anybody know the thread size on the race plug? Looking to just make one or buy local today if possible?

Sent while at work......

·
Registered
507 Posts
You wont be able to "find one locally". The end of the plug has to be machined perfectly flat at it seals itself off against the fuel rail. One small imperfection and it wont seal up.. Better off to just shim the stock one. Go to the hardware store and buy the stainless washers and shim it .06"

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Alright cool thanks man I mean I'm a machinist-tool and die maker I can cut one mill grind ad even cut the threads on it if j knew the size....lol I'll just try and shim it today though

Sent while at work......

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
The plug can in theory cause significant damage to injectors and or the system with a moderate spike in PSI. So there is always a risk.

I run one on mine and have zero issues and many people I personally know with race applications that are daily drivers run them as well with zero issues. I cant not recall an incident that was linked to a spike in PSI that cause injector and or system damage or carnage.

You can always shim it rather than plug it if your too worried?

Or if your not having an issue, you can leave until you do and then decide.

My perception is this, it has risk, like any modification we do to these trucks and we as owners accept those risk the minute we put on the first aftermarket part.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna shim today and see if that helps my issue... I data logged and rail pressure drops in my high tune a little.... It kinda falls on its face a little.... I'm gonna get a lift pump but just looking to help it out... Thanks for the help gonna probably shim it today and see if that helps

Sent while at work......

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
Yeah I'm gonna shim today and see if that helps my issue... I data logged and rail pressure drops in my high tune a little.... It kinda falls on its face a little.... I'm gonna get a lift pump but just looking to help it out... Thanks for the help gonna probably shim it today and see if that helps

Sent while at work......
Mine was falling on its face at the 1000 mark in the 1/4 and when I would do some WOT runs....

My OEM valve was weak.. Once I installed the plug that issue was gone

If yours is doing it without a lift pump and its the OEM plug bleeding off the pressure, your like me then, really weal plug. Only way is to shim or plug.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
What size washer.... I want to get the washer while I'm out in the truck today

Sent while at work......

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Mine has been shimmed for 3 years. No issues yet

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I would do a bottle test before jumping into it. Might not need to mess with it at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts