Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to install the shim kit and took the glow plug controller bolts out, but there a bracket that it sits on. I took the bracket off, but don't see the 5 other bolts that need to be took out to get to the fuel valve.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im pretty sure i see it on the fuel rail, just want to be sure it the right thing to take out.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
PM sent!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips...

·
Registered
300 Posts
i gave up on mine. lol what are the install tips? i don't ever throw any low pressure codes so i'm just gonna keep it till i do.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
Shim the FPRV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saved this when I shimmed my FPRV--
Removing the glow plug controller bracket was the hard part--

To remove the FPRV-- I ground one side off the 18 mm wrench so it would fit flush with the FPRV head, [that give mor contact on the FPRV] and then used another big wrench on the end of the 18 mm for additional leverage. It came right off-- It is important you have good contact on the head, because the head is shallow-- not full depth like a regular bolt. If you use a junk wrench, you may strip the head and it will be impossible to remove.

I got the washer from the local hardware store-- I believe it is stainless #4 size - .325 od and .028 thick. Cost 19 cents. They did not have the 20mm nut so I just chucked the pressure end of the FPRV in a vice -- attached a pair of vice grips to the head (hex side) and tapped the vice grips with a hammer- came right apart. Remove the spring and drop the washer inside the body- insert the spring and cap-- press together in a vice-- use cardboard or aluminum on the seat side, and stake the side to hold it together.

Be sure you protect the pressure side-(opposite side of the head) That is the major part, it seals against the seat in the fuel rail-- any damage to it, and it will not build pressure. Be very careful to not loose the washer or the needle valve.

The install of the bracket is a little hard also-- I said FU, and cut the upper bracket from the engine mount part-- welded a tab and and now bolt it together-- now the upper glow module bracket is removable from the engine bracket-- works for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts