Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the PPE Trans Filter? I was reading about it and I don’t see much info on it. Supposedly offers better filtration and better shifts but I don’t usually fall for manufacturers biblical claims!

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
Most would recommend sticking with the Allison filters.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greatly appreciated and I think I’m rite there with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Need more info on why you guys recommend the Allison filter. I just changed the trans oil & spin on filter on my 15. It has 26K miles. I used a Wix filter. I use Wix on all my vehicles.
Is the Allison trans filter that much better???

·
LHN...We ARE the Joneses
26,294 Posts
It's the OE filter(s)....and they're cheaper.

And.....peruse the different Filter Challenge threads, dissecting and comparing innards, may sway you from brand loyalty.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Wix is just ok with ok quality, Allison is better and cost less and a OE filter.
If you have a Allison dealer near by, they’re usually about $9-$10.
Wix quality is not like it was 10-15 years ago, I’ve had my share of Wix oil filter issues, Dmax stock fuel filter issues, and many has had their share of Wix stock paper airfilter issues fitting and sealing in the AirBox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
May be a misunderstanding about me using Wix filters in all my vehicles. Yes, my reliability info may be a bit dated. But at the time data indicated Wix was a above average oil filter. If there is a proven better filter out there, I'll switch. I have too much invested in my vehicles to be hard headed about the brand of oil filter I use.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Like Hook said, take a look at the oil and fuel filter challenge threads, they don't cover trans filters, but they do give you an idea on various brands filter quality.
Personally, I always stick with Allison for my trans spin on and you will find most people here do the same.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Anyone using the PPE Trans Filter? I was reading about it and I don’t see much info on it. Supposedly offers better filtration and better shifts but I don’t usually fall for manufacturers biblical claims!
Just another BS claim, I’m sure PPE has a good product, but really how could something that small offer what they’re claiming.

Years ago, like 2008-2009 I had a WIX trans filter on that I got for a good price at Napa, all I got was shaking heads at the dealer.
They wouldn’t risk a Allison with a WIX filter.

I bought 6 and still have 4 setting on my shelf.
I prefer using what’s considered much better.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
May be a misunderstanding about me using Wix filters in all my vehicles. Yes, my reliability info may be a bit dated. But at the time data indicated Wix was a above average oil filter. If there is a proven better filter out there, I'll switch. I have too much invested in my vehicles to be hard headed about the brand of oil filter I use.
If your happy with what your using for oil filters, stick with it.
If your interested in using better quality, maybe check out the Baldwin and Donaldson OEM replacement oil filters, both have pretty good micron ratings.
I only used WIX for many years, until I had issues with 2 different WIX oil filters one was a canister 1/2 shorter than OEM (dry start issues) the other spin-on with defective anti-drain back valve (dry start issues) on my 07 Yukon, when WIX went with plastic fuel filter housings for the Dmax, that ended my relationship with WIX.

I then went with actual OEM AC Delco, oil and fuel filters on all my GM's until recently decided to try the oil filter in my Dmax that's in my signature, the same as what we used many years ago in our GM muscle cars. AC Delco number is PF932.
Trucks actually still running with no issues, no anti-drain back valve, no by-pass, full flow capacity now 11 quarts .:grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts