Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Efi live is the greatest thing since toilet paper..but in my case im wondering which one you guys think is the better product. I have both and looking to get rid of one.. PPE Xcelerator or Edge Evolution.. Im looking for just the basic 4 levels of hp and tq so im fine with what these are capable of i just would like your guys opinion of which one of the two is better. Thanks :thumb
(if this same topic has been posted already please post the link)

·
Registered
101 Posts
From what i've heard, the PPE is the best canned tuner out there. I had an edge juice with attitude or whatever its called and a couple times my truck just shut off while running. No issues since switching to EFI

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
either will be fine since you just want little extra power, and think you get monitor with the edge
yes i have the monitor with the edge so it would be more convenient as far as switching and selecting different levels plus the gauges..

·
Premium Member
17,808 Posts
Any time you increase the HP of a Duramax-- you place extra load on the trans-- they are expensive to upgrade. Consider "Lifting" on up shifts, and down shifts-- mostly in 5th

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
back up top for more advice!!!Thanks guys

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am running the edge Evo and I like it. Reads and clears trouble codes. Monitoring aspect is nice as well. My only complaint is no shift on the fly. Removing radio fuse everytime I wanna switch can be a pain in the a$$. But I am pretty happy. Had it on my truck for a couple months now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would do the PPE, we do stock them so let us know if we can help.
All - sorry to revive such an old thread. Just got me an LB7 and after reading up on some tuners, I want one... haha

Brent - do you still have any of the PPE tuners stocked? DM me if you could! I'm quite interested. :grin2:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Already installed on the truck? Or would you have to set it up?

If it's already on, whats your feedback?

Also, whats the long term goal of the truck? That probably also plays on role on what you do with the PPE tuner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It was not installed. It was just in the case under the back seat. I dont know much about it. Ive done a little research on them, but from the looks of it, its just a programmer and then you unplug it. I would assume it was used on my truck prior to me owning it. My goal was to have a larger truck that I can tow larger loads and cart my kids around when i hunt and fish, etc so I dont plan on using it.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Could always hold on to it. If the previous owner used it, it could be VIN locked. My buddies dad has an '02 LB7 as well as myself, and I tried to use his Superchip handheld last night to snag the performance tune... to no avail. They lock them out.

That being said - by the time we had the Superchip back in the box, I had already ordered a PPE from Amazon. FREE SAME DAY SHIPPING!
So you could say I'm pretty pumped for 9 PM tonight when the PPE comes in.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It was not installed. It was just in the case under the back seat. I dont know much about it. Ive done a little research on them, but from the looks of it, its just a programmer and then you unplug it. I would assume it was used on my truck prior to me owning it. My goal was to have a larger truck that I can tow larger loads and cart my kids around when i hunt and fish, etc so I dont plan on using it.
Do you have any other means to read codes?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Do you have any other means to read codes?
Great point! Also should be able to check injector balances. On a basic level, but great to at least know where they're at.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Should you decide to sell it, be sure to plug it into your OBD II connector, and set your truck back to stock...this unlocks the VIN in the PPE to your truck, and allows it (possibly) to work on another vehicle.

Tuners are locked to a VIN once they are connected to the vehicle, and a tune is uploaded. This locks them to that VIN, and therefor the tuner cannot be used on another vehicle until it is unlocked from the first one. Also, many tuners out there have a "count" as to how many times they can be locked/unlocked from a vehicle. As an example, you connect the tuner to your vehicle, load a tune. Then at some point you reconnect, and remove the tune and set your vehicle back to its stock setup. This would be ONE lock/unlock. Most tuners I'm familiar with are set from the factory with a 3 or 5 lock/unlocks count, meaning they can be connected to 3 to 5 different vehicles (ONE AT A TIME ONLY) before the manufacturer has to be contacted to reset the lock/unlock count. They usually charge for this. They also charge a fee if the tuner is locked to a vehicles VIN (a previous owner did not unlock the tuner from their vehicle before they sold it).

Another feature to look for in a tuner is if it can patch out a particular trouble code (not all codes, but some that do not effect driveability or safety features). For example, some folks remove the intake heater on their duramax's. This will set a trouble code. There are tuners that allow you to not only clear the trouble code, but to disable that particular code, so it never gets set.

So, anyone who is selling or buying a used tuner, make sure it is unlocked, and that it still has lock/unlock counts left on it. It should have a screen display with this information on it when plugged into the vehicle. If you are buying, ask for this screen shot!

·
Registered
3 Posts
bought my first Duramax 2003 6.6

and now I have purchased a used Edge programmer
guy said its an Evolution but on the back it says The Juice.
are these the same thing?

And how do I even program this thing
I know nothing about a Diesel or a Turbo
Im a Nitrous guy

truck is all stock
I pull a 24ft race trailer and want to add performance to truck to make towing a little easier

Ineed help to say the least

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would sell that for EFI, I know I’ve made about 3 other comments about it in other post already tonight but I couldn’t be any more happier with it then I am right now!! Unbelievable in the difference, I’m not sure about the edge but all I did with the autocal was plug it in flash it an I was rolling, longest part was putting my switch in an that was painless to

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
bought my first Duramax 2003 6.6

and now I have purchased a used Edge programmer
guy said its an Evolution but on the back it says The Juice.
are these the same thing?

And how do I even program this thing
I know nothing about a Diesel or a Turbo
Im a Nitrous guy

truck is all stock
I pull a 24ft race trailer and want to add performance to truck to make towing a little easier

Ineed help to say the least
Edge programmers don't play well with the duramax.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts