Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is deleted and tuned by Kory at PPEI, currently running the tow tune and the truck is a beast but I dont really require all that extra power. I tow 25-35k daily 250-500 miles a day, and have been thinking of switching back to the economy tune for fuel mileage. The truck tows 25-35k one way, then 8k on the empty trip back. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
My truck is deleted and tuned by Kory at PPEI, currently running the tow tune and the truck is a beast but I dont really require all that extra power. I tow 25-35k daily 250-500 miles a day, and have been thinking of switching back to the economy tune for fuel mileage. The truck tows 25-35k one way, then 8k on the empty trip back. Any advice?

Won't hurt a thing bossman! Move it on down to economy and let it eat! It will tow awesome on it too.

Thanks,
Kory

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kory.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kory is there any difference in the exhaust brake between the two tunes? I neex all the exhaust brake I can get.

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
tow tune for daily driver at 7000 ft in elevation? I feel like the street may be a little hot at this elevation. Thoughts? Drive mostly unloaded 70% highway 30% City. Tow horses on the weekend 3 horse trailer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have never ran the street tune, I want to keep this thing as reliable as possible. I have switched back to the tow tune, truck tows better heavy with that tune. The economy tune definitely utilizes more timing/less boost, and the tow tune keeps EGT's lower. The only down side to the tow tune for me is I have to be careful with my right foot, with a heavy load and to much throttle input this bitch will downshift to 4th at like 28lbs of boost. Dont want to break anything.

Here is the beast towing some 5500's

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
Wow. Ok so tow tune will be the one I put in ill keep it there so I can not have to worry about towing the horses and a daily driver. Taking the truck to PHX soon so I'll probably do the economy tune for that. Is there any substantial MPG gain/loss between ECON and Tow

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really did not see a big difference between the two mpg wise empty, I seem to get a little better fuel mileage towing heavy on the tow tune. I just leave the tow tune loaded all the time, drives real nice empty too. That tune woke the truck up big time. I have over 70K since my delete/tune.

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
I really did not see a big difference between the two mpg wise empty, I seem to get a little better fuel mileage towing heavy on the tow tune. I just leave the tow tune loaded all the time, drives real nice empty too. That tune waked the truck up big time. I have over 70K since my delete/tune.

Good to go. Sounds like a safe responsible tune for what I need. Perfect middle ground. I'm not looking to get 11's on the track, just stout reliability.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should be good to go then brotha, I recommend getting your delete through Travis at Synthetic Motorsports. My Truck Just hit 197,000 today.

Reactions: Martin76

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very cool, Install is pretty straight forward, I dropped the K member and spare tire to get everything out in one piece. I also purchased the edge with the probe as well, and I am very glad I did. The EGTs where about 150-200 degrees cooler using the stock sensors on the edge so its great to have accurate readings now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yeah, I purchased the egr plates as well, and decided to not put them in unless I needed them. I can tell you from my experience it is not needed, my truck does not open up the egr flaps under high boost towing on steep grades.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
Great information.
Now with the EGR blocker plates and that you did not install them, can I ask about the pros and cons to not doing an install?

The EGR will be turned off however I am curious about it. There must be a reason for them telling it? Also I am at elevation so I assume it would be beneficial to go ahead to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reason why they sell them is on the older trucks the EGR had a tendency to come open under heavy boost, and then you will roll some serious coal. On the newer style EGRs it does not seem to have that problem, and with the EGR shut down and unplugged I have not experienced this issue. It wont hurt to install the plates, but I do not feel it is needed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts