Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
During install my diesel tech installed the 60HP tow/economy tune on my 2015 dually, while it was a great tune I felt like it was going too be too much for us when we started towing again this summer 18,000LBs fifth wheel/boat hooked together. Also found that the 60HP was too much in town for driving around on our lovely iced roads an d -50! Switched to the 30HP tune and it feels much better "for our purposes" mileage actually increased about 1.5 to 2mpg highway at 110KM/h on it also. I am like you and want to keep her as reliable as possible. In all honesty I don't need any extra horsepower

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
During install my diesel tech installed the 60HP tow/economy tune on my 2015 dually, while it was a great tune I felt like it was going too be too much for us when we started towing again this summer 18,000LBs fifth wheel/boat hooked together. Also found that the 60HP was too much in town for driving around on our lovely iced roads an d -50! Switched to the 30HP tune and it feels much better "for our purposes" mileage actually increased about 1.5 to 2mpg highway at 110KM/h on it also. I am like you and want to keep her as reliable as possible. In all honesty I don't need any extra horsepower

I agree. It's nice to know you have it but the day to day and towing I want it stout. It's good stuff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
Is there an existing hole for the probe pre turbo or does it have to be drilled?
no existing hole. Front passenger side when you take the fender well off is a good place to put it. You will have to place your own hole. When this is done use a tap and also suck everything out with a decent vacuum, or magnet or both. You do not want any shavings to go through the turbo. :thumb

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Dirty, how do you like the truck deleted?

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
Dirty, how do you like the truck deleted?

Night and day difference in smoothness and throttle response. The truck is running better. I keep it on the tow tune and it's phenomenal. EGTs are low and the tunes are actually very clean. My truck was acting up a little on the emissions side of things so I pulled the trigger. The delete was pretty easy to put together. That being said I have put 2000 miles on the truck since the delete in 1 week and my mpg has gone from a 16.7 average to a 19.9 average by the DIC. Hand calc shows a 2.99999 mpg gain so essentially 3. Kory knows what he is doing and The guys at synthetic were excellent. Very happy I went this route though for some time I wanted to keep my emissions in stock.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Is there an existing hole for the probe pre turbo or does it have to be drilled?
whenever I drill for pyro I step drill it, that way their aren't large shavings, being that its cast it almost comes off as a dust. Also I drill WITH the engine on, grease on the drill bit to catch some of the shavings, ALSO absolutely wear a faceshield if drilling while engine is on because those shavings are coming right at your face!

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
whenever I drill for pyro I step drill it, that way their aren't large shavings, being that its cast it almost comes off as a dust. Also I drill WITH the engine on, grease on the drill bit to catch some of the shavings, ALSO absolutely wear a faceshield if drilling while engine is on because those shavings are coming right at your face!
Interesting that you do this with the engine on. I did not do that but I am curious as to why you have the engine running? Seems like an unwarranted risk of hot gas and shavings to come out of the port as well as s few getting away from you and ending down stream.

The use of a grease etc is a great point to make. Keeps the shavings in a relatively local area and decreases the amount of them. Not to mention its easier on bits. :neener

·
Registered
839 Posts
Ive always done mine with the motor running as well. I drill a small small pilot hole first and then use the proper size bit for the tap next. Drill slow and the cast turns to dust and is blown towards yourself. I load the tap with grease and it catches the shavings in it. I tap with the motor off.

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
Ive always done mine with the motor running as well. I drill a small small pilot hole first and then use the proper size bit for the tap next. Drill slow and the cast turns to dust and is blown towards yourself. I load the tap with grease and it catches the shavings in it. I tap with the motor off.
That is interesting. Good on ya guys I just thought of never doing it is all.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I started mine with the engine running, way to much vibration the first smaller hole was oval. Also the filings was spraying all over including in my face.
So I shut it down, finished drilling and tapping using grease and a slow step process.
After I finished I used a powerful shop vac over the tapped hole, then started the engine.
Shut it down then installed the probe.
I've done it this way on several diesels with never having any issues.

Me personally I do NOT like the idea of the engine running while drilling for a probe, for the exact reasons I stated above.
I only tried the engine running method this time because several claimed this is the way to go.
Not for me, anyway.

Reactions: DirtEmax-USMC

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Good info man! Goes to prove different strokes for different folks, but I'm glad we decided to offer both levels to suite everyones needs right out the box :)

Thanks again,
Kory

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Out of curiosity.... Would higher hp tunes be more beneficial to people who commute at a higher average speed? Like how I travel a 75-80 mph. And then a lower tune being more beneficial to those who are cruising closer to 55-60 mph?

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
Out of curiosity.... Would higher hp tunes be more beneficial to people who commute at a higher average speed? Like how I travel a 75-80 mph. And then a lower tune being more beneficial to those who are cruising closer to 55-60 mph?

InterestingI to see. I am running the tow tune and it's the middle of the road (60HP). I travel highway speeds 90% of the time and am very pleased. I cannot comment on higher tunes personally because without a lift pump I'm not comfortable with them yet. But with 2200 miles on tow tune as of this morning my MPG is great and the responsiveness is right there when you need it. I have a trailer behind me >50% of the time so I do not have much need to change it. I am curious to the responses to follow though.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
InterestingI to see. I am running the tow tune and it's the middle of the road (60HP). I travel highway speeds 90% of the time and am very pleased. I cannot comment on higher tunes personally because without a lift pump I'm not comfortable with them yet. But with 2200 miles on tow tune as of this morning my MPG is great and the responsiveness is right there when you need it. I have a trailer behind me >50% of the time so I do not have much need to change it. I am curious to the responses to follow though.

I'm with you on just leaving the tune that seems to work good with both, towing and solo. The one I'm running now is 60hp towtune with turbo brake.
I've never ran any tune above 60 in my Dmax and have no intentions of ever doing so.
The tuners and people that run higher mileage tunes like 90hp, claim their mileage is a little better.
IMO, The problem with running bigger tunes is you could risk other issues.
Like trans, possibly needing a lift pump depending if your drive once in a while like you stole it, did I memtion possible stock transmission issues.

I'm not the kind of person nor do I care about switching tunes like several do, that's why I went with single tunes no DSP switch.
Now I did put a lift pump on, just because I could and for better fuel filteration.
I was fine with the stock power, but if you want to start deleting stuff you pretty much don't have a choice but to tune.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm about to put the 60hp tune on. I have my TBE but I won't have time this weekend and patience is not a virtue of mine. Can I run it tuned with stock exhaust? I don't see y it would hurt anything

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I feel it's better to do the exhaust first, then the tuner.
It takes maybe 5-7 minutes to load the tunes.
Reason, no chance with messing up the stock exhaust and possible codes with a tune w deletes.
This is just my opinion.
I know most of the tuners will tell you the same thing.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts