Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Lb7 with a stock trans. I am looking at getting ppei efi live dsp5 tuning but was wondering if the TCM tuning would help the trans from limping or is just a waste of money and I should save it for the built trans ill have to buy down the road once I grenade this one.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but it is going to be highly recommended that you do trans tuning even if you have a built trans to get the most out of it. I've also been told that it is okay to run built trans tuning on the stock trans if you are planning on building the trans in the near future.

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
NO,
The only thing that would help from the trans limping is having your trans built.
Spend the outrageous price PPEI charges for TCM tuning if you get talked into this, but I wouldn't.
I only have mine which is very mild changes because Dmax tuner was just getting started with TCM tuning and asked if I would try a few tweaks.
The only noticeable changes was the converter looks up @ 48-49 mph instead of 51-52 mph.
ATP would not even offer TCM tuning, Ridge Runner told me its pretty much a waist $$ unless I plan on having more than 600 hp, but they'd be happy to do it if I want.
I didn't need it with what I already have.

I would never suggest too have built trans tuning on a stock trans, Being told/reading and actually knowing is way different in every way.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
So what if you’re told by people that actually have experience and knowledge with trans tuning and built trans? I guess they’re dead wrong too and its a fluke they have some of the fastest running duramax’s in the country

·
Registered
10,691 Posts
If you have an aftermarket turbo especially a large s400 or even some of the larger vvt turbos I reccomend transmission tuning and will sell it to you. If it's a stock transmission pre lml truck I dont recommend it and dont even mention it unless they ask. Transmission turning on lmls are different. It became popular and always brought up with the lmls because they run lower line pressure than previous years and had spikes and dips in pressure between shifts and at wot which affected performance, and made them feel sloppy or caused the dead pedal everyone had. That's why they ran cooler than previous year Allison's also.
If you get someone that plays with the wrong tables on a stock and even a built transmission they can make it a 5k dollar yard ornament quick. So on lmls yes get transmission tuning. On pre lml trucks imo it's not needed unless you have a big single and want to raise shift points and converter lock up to stay ontop the turbo or trying to wind out 4th gear in the quarter longer or start in 3rd for sled pulling.

Transmission tuning is doing nothing to stop yours from limping. Stock 5 speeds keep it under 80hp over stock.
And depending on your right foot you can get away with built transmission tunes. A few of the lmls I've tuned we put built Transmission tunes on them as they were building it shortly after tuning anyways.

Reactions: Noble_dmax and HWI

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
EDIT: I have a 16 year old transmission, and plan to hot rod it......

This is a disaster in the making......
At least that clicked with one other member on this thread.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
NO,
The only thing that would help from the trans limping is having your trans built.
Spend the outrageous price PPEI charges for TCM tuning if you get talked into this, but I wouldn't.
I only have mine which is very mild changes because Dmax tuner was just getting started with TCM tuning and asked if I would try a few tweaks.
The only noticeable changes was the converter looks up @ 48-49 mph instead of 51-52 mph.
ATP would not even offer TCM tuning, Ridge Runner told me its pretty much a waist $$ unless I plan on having more than 600 hp, but they'd be happy to do it if I want.
I didn't need it with what I already have.

I would never suggest too have built trans tuning on a stock trans, Being told/reading and actually knowing is way different in every way.

maybe my experience is atypical but the TCM tuning was only maybe 300$ or so as an addon and i noticed quite a difference in the feel of the truck driving. shifts felt soft for lack of a better word before where there was this mushy feeling like the truck was not fully connected to the road, after the TCM tuning that was gone and it felt more like the engine was rigidly connected to the wheels.

I do agree though, tuning is not a replacement for building the transmission, you might hold slightly more power slightly longer from the tuning, but its not going to make or break your transmission.

Edit: my truck is an LML to Silvers point so my input may not be useful here.

At least that clicked with one other member on this thread.
The rule is, if it aint broke dont fix it right? so if you never break your transmission, your never gonna have to fix it, and youll never find yourself with a great opportunity to upgrade it to a built transmission >:)

·
Registered
7,363 Posts
maybe my experience is atypical but the TCM tuning was only maybe 300$ or so as an addon and i noticed quite a difference in the feel of the truck driving. shifts felt soft for lack of a better word before where there was this mushy feeling like the truck was not fully connected to the road, after the TCM tuning that was gone and it felt more like the engine was rigidly connected to the wheels.

I do agree though, tuning is not a replacement for building the transmission, you might hold slightly more power slightly longer from the tuning, but its not going to make or break your transmission.

Edit: my truck is an LML to Silvers point so my input may not be useful here.

The rule is, if it aint broke dont fix it right? so if you never break your transmission, your never gonna have to fix it, and youll never find yourself with a great opportunity to upgrade it to a built transmission >:)
We're talking about a 16 + year old stock transmission adding HP power to the 16 + year old stock engine.
But your right its only around $300 and its real easy to spend other peoples money.
I didn't notice much other than what I've already mentioned at a $0 price with 50k miles on a 8 year old at that time LMM with a Allison 1000 6 speed. .
Now its his choice and his $$$.

Does he have to add TCM tuning right away, NO.
Can he add TCM tuning at a later date if he feels the need, YES.
He can even have a different EFI tuner do his TCM tuning if he elects to do so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts