Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my truck aligned less than a month ago, the dumbass said my pitman arm was going bad, seemed kinda soon but I said ok and went on AFTER he aligned it anyways. so the frontend has been popping and walking the road, I keep spare parts for this occations, anyways I jack the pass side up, the pitman arm was ready to fall out, the bolts were not even tight, and the frontend has been worked on at 2 diff dealers so I cant remeber which one replaced it, they will know from serv. records, so I jack up the drivers side and the upper control arm was ready to fly out once again loose bolts- from the alingment, and my idler brace was loose as hell, the front ends tight again at least. Is there anyone left that pays attn. or takes any pride in there work anymore? Its kinda sad really.

·
Registered
818 Posts
hardly anyone cares,

If you want it done right, do it yourself (cold truth sorry)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Its so hard to find people that take pride in their work anymore its terrible,especially if theyre flat rate techs,they cut corners and try to get things out as fast as possible to make a buck,Im so glad I do all my own work cause honestly it isnt easy to drop my truck off somewhere because id just worry the whole time about what theyre doing to it,hard to trust anyone man

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hardly anyone cares,

If you want it done right, do it yourself (cold truth sorry)
I know man, thats why most of the time I do, lately I havent and see what that got me. Id do my own alignments too if i had a shop.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Its so hard to find people that take pride in their work anymore its terrible,especially if theyre flat rate techs,they cut corners and try to get things out as fast as possible to make a buck,Im so glad I do all my own work cause honestly it isnt easy to drop my truck off somewhere because id just worry the whole time about what theyre doing to it,hard to trust anyone man
I have the exact same problem, hell even when i was having my truck aligned my wife wouldnt quit making fun of me because i was stressing out the whole time. I even went through the truck before i paid, making sure everything was tight and went over the alignment sheet before hand as well.

As said earlier, unfortunately nobody takes any pride in thier work, its all about getting it done fast on to the next. Problem with todays society, its all about quantity, not quality.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I was taught its quality not quanity, I'm gettin ready to call the tire center that did the alignment, I buy 2-3 sets of tires a yr. so they get good buisness from me hopefully they make it right, I've run asslickers off for less at the rig.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I do as much maintenance on my own truck as I can. If there's any problems, at least I know who screwed it up....

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do also, just thought it was pretty sad this is the 5th shop including the dealer the trucks been aligned at in 5 yrs. and everyone of them has done something stupid or halfassed it. all the loose shit under my truck could have been dangerous for someone who didnt know anybetter.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I know man, thats why most of the time I do, lately I havent and see what that got me. Id do my own alignments too if i had a shop.
I wish I could do my own alignments, I have the worst luck with shops doing alignments its never right usually I can visually see that its out. :GoodJob

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
I laughed when I saw the title of this thread. PPL are so lazy....Too lazy to spell out people. Lol. But then I read through your post. Sorry about the chit work you had done. If I were you I would go after both shops and try to get both the mechanic's money. People who risk your life with their crapsmanship shouldn't be employed.

I suggest finding one shop, and taking all your vehicles to it every time you have to have work like this done. Then they are the only ones accountable and generally repeat business makes them want to work harder.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I guess I am lucky, I have a couple of good shops around me that I trust to do good work and the guys know me & my old man and we have been taking our vehicles there for over 10yrs. The guys know I am not about having my truck back ASAP, I just want the work done right the first time no matter how long (within reason)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
This is exactly why i do most of the work on my stuff now days. Heard/Seen to many horror stories. One dealership did an alignment and replaced Tie-Rod's on buddy's old 06 Dmax, and he was driving down the highway a week later and a tie rod let go and the tire did it's own thing.
Another shop replaced a trans in buddy's Cummin's. He was drivin down the highway some time later and the T-Case had fallen completely off onto the highway becaue of loose bolts.

Some shop's cannot be trusted at all, but have no problem charging you full rate for their half-assed work.

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called the dealers and the one here at the house put the pitman arm on, and I did kinda rush him and payed him personally out of my own pocket cheap so my dumbness. BUT the dick that aligned my truck charged me 70 bucks and they didnt really give a shit, the woman said well that was done back in May ( a little longer than I though) and its hard to tell what happened, I told her A ARMS DO NOT JUST COME LOOSE unless the the dumb fuck who last had it loose never tightened it up for shit to start with, she said huh, I dont know. Goddamn people are dumb.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
One dealership did an alignment and replaced Tie-Rod's on buddy's old 06 Dmax, and he was driving down the highway a week later and a tie rod let go and the tire did it's own thing.
how is it the dealers fault if the tie rod broke?

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
man, yesterday i went to the tire place to get a nail taken out and patched. After they put the tire on, the stupid fuck forgot to put the lugnuts on and just put the cap on. I almost strangled him. I ALWAYS WATCH WHAT THEY ARE DOING... if i didnt say anything, i would have made it about 3 feet before the tire fell off.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had my truck aligned less than a year ago and the uca on both sides moved as far as they could toward the inside making contact with the frame in multiple places. I can only guess that the bolts were not tightened properly by the alignment guy. I got the new ones in this week and plan to watch the alignment guy the whole time and torque them myself when I get it back. (i'm not going to the place that did it last time)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
how is it the dealers fault if the tie rod broke?
It didnt break after they aligned it. It had no been tightened where it meets the spindle, it had loosen it's way out of the spindle so the tie rod was not attached to the spindle anymore on the drver's side. Tie-Rod was still completely fine.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
It didnt break after they aligned it. It had no been tightened where it meets the spindle, it had loosen it's way out of the spindle so the tie rod was not attached to the spindle anymore on the drver's side. Tie-Rod was still completely fine.
Ok. Gotcha

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
yep yep...
7,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks like im not the only one with a bunch of lazy no nothin saggy assed mechanics in town.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Do all my own work as much as possible, if i cant do it i take it to my buddy that i graduated high school with that know owns and operates his own shop. So hes gonna do it right for me... Plus im usually standing under the lift with him lending a hand haha

1 - 20 of 27 Posts