Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this in general discussion because I think this is something that could be answered by most and not just for my generation.

What is a alternative to the standard primer pump?

I have rebuilt mine twice, replaced the hoses going in and out of the pump & replaced the filter. As soon as I turn the truck off I loose prime and I go back to having to prime it to start back up.

Please help.

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
A good lift pump will help that problem. Many of the Forum Supporting Vendors on this site can provide you the needed parts.

You can try this-- clean the shop vac and hose-- place a cloth over the hose [to catch any debris] use the pressure side of the shop vac and hold it on the fuel filler neck for a few minutes. That pressurizes the fuel system, and it should show leaks. That is better than using shop air, as it is large volume and low pressure.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The fuel filler, where you put diesel into your truck.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Where you fill your tank with diesel

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
If the truck is over 10 years old you might want to consider that the primer assembly is just plain wore out and rebuilding it is no longer an option. Time to buy a new one if the primer assembly is bad, you can find them online with a filter for around $125.00..

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
I forgot to ask, fill out your signature so we know what year truck your speaking about as their are differences in some parts from 2001 to 2014. LB7,LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML....

·
Premium Member
17,806 Posts
All filter housing are interchangeable-- you may have to re-route/change the hoses.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
The only difference is the tubing is bent differently. If you'd like to spend an extra $400 for the old style part vs the new style and possibly lengthening two 12" long fuel lines (>$10), well.....:cool: For $85, I assume you replaced the two shaped/curved lines with the OEM part. Most just use bulk 1/2" fuel line, approx 15" long on each.

The GM part number is 12642623.
GM Fuel Filter 12642623

PartsZoneOnline
It comes as a complete assembly, including a new filter and WIF sensor. If you find someone selling this as the filter head only, I can only assume they are opening a sealed acDelco box and removing the filter and the WIF sensor before selling/shipping...which just isn't right. nono

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Much appreciated!
I listened to the wrong person... Went to the local parts house and the old man told me I needed GM line and that I could not get anything else because it was "custom molded fuel line."

I will order the new primer pump ASAP.

·
Premium Member
26,484 Posts
Click the link I gave you above.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts