Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im finally having problems and they are turning into big ones. first ill start off with what i have.

2003 2500 LB7, slightly modded with the edge programmer and a 5 inch exhaust

Driving habbits: when i first got the truck three years ago i did alot of hard off roading. for the past year its been all mostly highway and im not easy on the throttle at stop lights

the PROBLEMS!: AB and brake warning indicators on the dash and info display system, 4WD selector red neutral light all the time, feels like driveline vibrations, transmission gets locked out in 4th or 5th sometimes but rarely 3rd and if i get locked in 4th theres no reverse,

visiual inspection: front axle; driverside seal leaking. transmission fluid is at normal level but dirty. transfercase; im filling this everyday with about a half gallon of dexIII ATF, Tcase has hole presumably from the oil pump, Tcase rear outputshaft has extremly exessive vertical free play. oil is showing betewwn tranny and Tcase at the adapter houing.

CODEs; P0734-Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio, P0735-Gear 5 Incorrect Ratio. P0843-transmision Fluid pressure sensor/switch & circuit high, P0380-glow plug/heater circuit, P0404-exhaust gas recirculation control circuit range/performance, P0500-vehicle speed sensor, P0700-transmission control system(MIL Request)

im not worried about the egr or the glow plug codes ive had thoes pretty much since ive had the truck.

this is my everyday driver that i drive everyday back and forth to work. i need to get this fixed before it get too out of hand and causes even more problems. any and all help would be appreciated, im getting worn out trying to figure out what wrong.

if you need anymore info i can gladly give you all i know

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Did this happen all at once? Like roll the b*tch off a cliff and BAM! CEL galore and leaks? Things wear out and need replacing. Just replaced both rear axle seals, tranny cooler lines, front axle seals and rear output shaft seal on my LBZ. Make a list and cross em off as ya get em done. Start wrenching bud!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
You need to rebuild your tranny. Thats what the incorrect ratio means. Your slipping clutches seeing, how your hard on it I would have it built.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
^ yup start savin for a trans bud. Sounds like its seen one too many bad days with that edge box on high levels..

Also, you're going to have to replace the rear housing of your transfer case. Sounds like you have pump run thats finally worked its way through in you. Check out the other current thread on pump run right now to I've you a better idea about what you're dealing with. Merchant automotive sells he best kits IMO and they also have the rear sections available for purchase.

Definitely NOT sent from my iPhone while jumping on a trampoline wearing a banana hammock..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just replaced my TCase because of the pump rub and was very happy with Merchant. Great customer service etc. If you have an ABS light Ill guarantee one or both of your front wheel bearings is toast. I just replaced one of those as well. DMaxstore has the timkens with lifetime warranty. Bottom line, start piling up money and start checking off the list.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks guys, i knew i wouls have to start replacing seals and everything but not a whole tranny rebuild. i know what i need to do with the front hubs and the Tcase but im clueless about the tranny rebuild?!?! is it just cluth plates seals ans bearings?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Well you ran too much power through your stock transmission, thus you need the rebuild now. And it's only going to start limping and slipping more and more often now. If you haven't already, start babying the crap out of it to prolong it, or it will leave you stuck on the side of the road when it goes out (and it will if you don't turn down the tunes) They're usually only good to about 90hp over stock (if you want reliability). Since you need a rebuild anyways, you might as well get the parts beefed up inside and go with a stage IV at least. If you've never rebuilt an automatic trans before I wouldn't suggest beginning with an allison, they're said to be intricate to say the least. Where are you located? We can then suggest a good quality shop for you to get it rebuilt at. If you're on the east coast then Big Dipper is the guy to go to, the west coast, Mike L all the way. In the middle you have ATP and Alligator in Idaho, Husker in Nebraska, Fleece and Danville in Indiana, etc..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im from the dallas/fort worth are in texas. ive been looking at parts and its pretty rediciously expensive to the point where im thinking of finding a tall cliff and run the POS off it!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha yeah i KNOW im hellacious and relentless on my truck. i understand that crap breaks. i knew about the front hubs and that i was going to have to replace them eventually but a very poor design of the oil pump in the transfer case in not understandable, chevy should have at least recognized the problem and done something like a recall, instead its left me with a hole in the tcase, witch i can afford to fix. now weather the tcase is related to my transmission problems is what i want to know. Ive worked on military aircraft for 5 years and I know that shit breaks, and that one problem usualy causes other system related problems.

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
yea man dont blame a great truck for having hard times after an ignorant driver has been beating the shit out of it for a few years. not being a dick but you didnt kno the damage you were doing to it until its damn near to late. return the edge to stock or economy and dont get on it especially from a dig. take care of your machine and it will take care of you

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
No, the pump rub is not related to your transmission. You have tried to push too much power through your allison, thus the clutches have started to slip and break down inside. Every time you limp the transmission this is what is happening and it makes them weaker and weaker, thus making the probability of limping the transmission further down the road even greater.. Eventually it can get to the point where it won't even be able to hold 5th gear in stock tune.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
heres why i think its related:

transfercase senses low oil, abs sensors and speed sensor dont match; triggers a fault and puts the transmission into limp mode. driving 70MPH on the highway and get off highway and stop at a stoplight, stuck in 4th gear at a stoplight i take off going up hill= bad news for clutch.

i have noticed if i keep the transfercase full limp mode dosent happen as often, also if i turn overdrive off it upshifts to 5th and locks there?? weird. but if i drive above 75MPH it NEVER goes into limp mode lol. so i try to stay below 40 or above 75. this is the only vehicle i have so not driving it just isnt going to happen, im working on getting a cheap car lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey thanks nvrplzd, i dont really know a whole lot about trannys and what your giving me makes sense. i just want to fix this and then im probably taking the programmer off the truck. it towed just fine for me befor the programmer lol. id rather have reliability over power, i should have just left it alone :/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea man dont blame a great truck for having hard times after an ignorant driver has been beating the shit out of it for a few years. not being a dick but you didnt kno the damage you were doing to it until its damn near to late. return the edge to stock or economy and dont get on it especially from a dig. take care of your machine and it will take care of you
your right it is a great truck and i have to give to to the duramax for keeping up without loosing a beat :) i love chevy! it definatly beats a ford! ill definatly be taking it easy on it untill i have 20grand to put into ugrading everything behind the engine.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
With the 5spd allisons (found in the 01-05 duramax's) the weak point for shifts under heavy tunes/power on a stock transmission is the 4-5 and 5-4 shifts.

Programmers are fine as long as you use them responsibly. This however is not always the case, it's very appealing to see that max effort tune and throw it on for a lot of people.

Good news is that once you build your trans you'll be able to run some seriously nice tunes through her with a lift pump. I'd recommend looking into an efi live setup if you're wanting to go with another programmer. Not much more expensive than any canned tuner new, and way more efficient and built for your truck so you won't go past its potential. Just a suggestion however..
My suggestion would be to go back to stock until you can afford the new trans, as you are riding on borrowed time as it is..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts