Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any problems with there axle? I bought my truck last summer, Last November I was driving it and the clutches just stopped slipping, when i would go around curves the inside tire would spin. It was still under waranty and the dealershipped replaced it for free. But they could not give me a reason why it happened. I am sure the 35X13.5 tires do not help but I do not go out and try to roast them off or anything like that.

dose anyone know what it could of caused this?

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
were you using limited slip additive in the gear oil? if you dont the clutch pack can get gummed up and not engauge/disengauge right

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree to the gear oil additive it could have been service somewhere before u purchased it and was never added at 110000miles I had my gears changed to 4.88s the guy that set them up said that my bearings and everything were in excellent shape that was with running 36x15.50s on 12 inch rims since 40000miles. I wouldn't worry about those 14bolts are tuff

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It might of been the gear oil but i can't see it going bad in 25K miles, I bought it with 13K on it last summer and drove mostly highway miles on it before it gave out. I'm just glad it was under warranty, what is the gear oil additive you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
107 Posts
It is a additive designed to work with the clutch packs in the rearend u can buy it at any parts store it might have been a defective part from factory on my earlier post I didn't know the mileage of your vehicle. Did they replace the clutch packs only or replace the differential?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Post up a pic of your truck man it looks sweet I've never seen that package in person before

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks, its the southern comfort edition hince the name. when I took it to the dealer they tried to tell me it was just the fluid. they changed it and drove it around the lot, it didn't help. they ended having to replace the hole differentail.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
were you using limited slip additive in the gear oil? if you dont the clutch pack can get gummed up and not engauge/disengauge right
It is a additive designed to work with the clutch packs in the rearend u can buy it at any parts store it might have been a defective part from factory on my earlier post I didn't know the mileage of your vehicle. Did they replace the clutch packs only or replace the differential?
The G80 in our trucks does NOT use an additive. It's not a limited slip like in half tons. It's a gov lock type locker. There's no clutches, so no need for additive. If you use one it shouldn't hurt anything, but it's a waste of money. But GM specs say no additive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Jesse do you know the advantages of the gov lock over limited slip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts