Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed the profab downpipe install. Lots easier than I thought.:D Took less than 2 hrs. Only problem was getting the tranny dipstick tube bolted back down. It is bolted back with both nuts. The tube is leaning against the heat wrap on the dp. Is this going to be a future problem with the temp of the downpipe?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I only bolted mine back with one nut because i couldnt get the other mounting point to reach the stud, but it is still touching the DP. I doubt that it will be a problem with the heat wrap on there. It will get hot for sure, but wont melt it or anything.

It was easier than I had expected it to be.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did that improve how the truck sounds? I rode in a modded lb7 that had a great rumble to it, my lly with a 4 inch exhaust sounds kind of pansy and has no rumble, i would really like the rumble.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Did that improve how the truck sounds? I rode in a modded lb7 that had a great rumble to it, my lly with a 4 inch exhaust sounds kind of pansy and has no rumble, i would really like the rumble.
Vvt vrs wastegated. Yours is not gunna rumble like an lb7

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started it for a short time after install but it was bad weather here and couldn't hear real well. Didn't want to run it for too long because I'm doing the EGR delete, didn't want a hot motor. With the rain it's hard to tell the performance. Roads are all wet, barely step on it and you are sideways. Had a hickup with the EGR install and probably won't be complete til Wednesday.

·
Registered
20,079 Posts
I started it for a short time after install but it was bad weather here and couldn't hear real well. Didn't want to run it for too long because I'm doing the EGR delete, didn't want a hot motor. With the rain it's hard to tell the performance. Roads are all wet, barely step on it and you are sideways. Had a hickup with the EGR install and probably won't be complete til Wednesday.
What kind of hickup?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nothing big. The wrong cap for the up pipe got shipped. I should have the right one Wednesday. Stuff happens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do you like your gauges? I'm going to need some. I would like some that are not bright inside the cab at night.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Just install your gauges into your dash lights circuit so that you will be able to use the factory dimmer switch and you shouldn't have to worry about the brightness :thumb

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Will that work if the lights are LED?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Yep, sure will. You just won't get as much of a dimming effect as you would with a regular bulb. However they still dim substantially. If they don't dim enough for your liking after the install you can always install a resistor in the wiring as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seen some gauges in trucks and couldn't see out at night cause the gauge lights were so bright. That info helps. Thanks

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
yeah, exactly the reason why i don't like pillar pods lol. left turns at night become very sketchy with tinted windows rolled up!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just towed a trailer (approx 4000 lbs) about 300 miles today. Got about 14 to 15 mpg. According to the stock mpg thing. I could really notice the power increase. I am very impressed with the mouthpiece and down pipe. I would not think twice about buying the Profab down pipe again. It was a perfect fit and not difficult to install. Getting the old one out is the problem. It took me about 10 minutes to pull it out through the passengers side fender well. The rest of the time was unbolting the dp heat shield and the turbo heat shield, removing the mp and and intake and stuff.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a noticable HP gain with the mouthpiece and downpipe. I will be installing EFIlive in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I cant really say if I noticed any more power with it. I did the MP, DP, and exhaust at the same time adn cant really tell if the added power is actually power or if it is just the sweet sweet sounds that make it sound faster.

Used to get that sort of thing alot with streetbikes. Kids would put a new slip-on exhaust on it and go, hell yea its TONS faster. then go and do a dyno session and realize that they lost power.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How do you like your gauges? I'm going to need some. I would like some that are not bright inside the cab at night.
Just buy the Autometer dimmer, its only $25. I have mine hooked to the factory lights as well but they dont dim very good that way IMO, but at least they turn off when the dash lights are out...

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
if they're still too bright wire a resistor in to the circuit. .99 is better than 25+ shipping any day in my book..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts