Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a programmer for my truck. I have an 07 classic duramax with the allison it's an LBZ engine. I am looking at edge stuff...is that the way to go? Or is there a better one? And also...do I have to replace my exhaust? Or will the chip run me fine with a stock exhaust? I'm trying to get better gas mileage...so I'm keeping stock tires. And is this stuff hard to install or can I do it myself?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
first off if you want to increase your fuel economy you will have to let your engine breath such as a drop in filter(i have more info at the bottom)and a exhaust plus when you add power to the engine with the stock exhaust you will have high egt's(exhaust temp.s)and to top it off do the programmer to fine tune everthing..
the edge is hard to beat with the outlook monitor but i have heard some trouble from them lately,the one i would recommend is the Diablo for like $300 and if you want the best go with the PPE..i gained 2 to 3 mpg on my LBZ with the PPE and for the exhaust i highly recommend Silverline Exhaust or MBRP Exhaust..i would do a drop in air filter along with this home made mod http://www.pacificp.com/pdf/manuals/airbox_modification_LBZ.pdf ..good luck to ya..
disclaimer,these are just my thoughts so take them for what they are worth to you..

·
Registered
121 Posts
u should replace your exhuast if getting a tuner and as for edge, i hear many customers claim that i doesnt last to great of a time. i'd go with diablo predator or PPE. also, edge has real good customer service if your still planning for edge.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...I looked at the PPE Hot 2. I guess I'm still a little confused...for 900.00 I can get a Edge Juiced with attitude....and it's supposed to monitor my EGTs, and read error codes, and make it so I can take my key out of my truck, and it will shut it off after certain EGTs are reached. The PPE Hot 2 said I should get a Duramaximizer. That's like 2000.00 for all that. But if I do go for an Edge...I will basically need to get an aftermarket exhaust and a new air intake for it to work right? And will this void my warranty?

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more thing...I looked at exhausts...and silverline makes 2 different kinds...both say they are the same...one is 400 the other 800. Same with MBRP...what's the difference????

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...I know I ask alot of questions...but I've basically established that PPE and Diablo make different tuners with different power levels. Me being a non-racer and just towing a camper on occasion and driving around town...would do just fine with a PPE with 3 power settings. Plus I could buy an exhaust too...and still be under 1000.00. Am I correct on this? Cuz the 900.00 PPE has like 6 power settings...but I'll never go over 90 extra HP cuz of my stock allison.

·
Administrator
8,815 Posts
FWIW, the predator is only $299 and it is pretty good. It should do anything that you want. You could also go with the PPE Economy and still be good since the PPE does much of the same as the predator. As far as the different prices for the exhaust...one is probably aluminized and the other stainless in 304....there should also be one in 409 stainless too. Aluminized will do you good as long as they don't put salt on the road where you live. I went with 409 stainless since it is like most stock systems are these days.

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where I live...the roads are like salt shakers....they DUMP salt on if it flurries. So I'll stick with the stainless...and as for the programmers....I'm going to do a diablo predator or a PPE economy. Thanx for all the help with this guys. I know I'm posting alot...but I'm excited and couldn't sleep last night...diesel+power+trucks=Me very happy. Is there anything else I should know before I buy this stuff?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Predator

I Have A Predator For Your Truck New In The Box. I Can Send It To Your For 300.00 Shipped.. Pm Me If This Is Good For You....I HAVE ONE FOR MY TRUCK...THE PREDATOR IS THE BEST. I ACCIDENTALLY ORDERED 2 OF THEM......LOOK AT TEH FOR FOR SALE SECTION FOR MY AD

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
PM some of the sponsors of this site for prices on exhaust and programmers and i would highly recommend the 304 SS,seeing you have a 40+k truck whats $800 but if you want to save a little go with the 409SS and also a thought,i see you only plan on moderate power and a cheap way to do the exhaust and it did a excellentjob for me was take the stock piping and make a straight out of it..also something that wouldn't be a bad idea is doing this to your air intake http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/0...scussion/2010-cheap-cai-upgrade-your-lbz.html it works and it doesn't cost a dime but about 15 min.s of your time..

·
Smoke. It's what's cookin
2,934 Posts
Predator or PPE economy would be good and stainless exhaust for the salt! I'd stay away from the edge. Dad has had a lot of trouble with his and he's on his 3rd one in his 05 lly. So I like my PPE Xcelerator HOT +2. It moves!

Ryan

·
Registered
192 Posts
first off if you want to increase your fuel economy you will have to let your engine breath such as a drop in filter..i would do a drop in air filter along with this home made mod http://www.pacificp.com/pdf/manuals/airbox_modification_LBZ.pdf ..good luck to ya..
disclaimer,these are just my thoughts so take them for what they are worth to you..

and what did this do for you? Factual information please.

Do you really think PPE has some edge up on a corporation full of engineers? Please get your mind around the reality that the intake is not the bulk of intake restriction. Go look at what happens to pre-compressor airflow in the remainder of the intake.

And please, if you don't want to believe me, then get a pressure gauge, tap a connection just past the airbox, and another just before the compressor. The first will give you your airbox/element restriction, and the second will give you total intake restriction. The latter will be 3 times the former. YOU CAN"T MAKE GAINS THIS WAY. Suggesting people hack away at a $600 intake is irresponsible, when there is no data to back up the effort.

That article proves to me that PPE is brain dead. If it was to bare credibility, it would have at least some kind of dyno result or IAT chart.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok...I know I ask alot of questions...but I've basically established that PPE and Diablo make different tuners with different power levels. Me being a non-racer and just towing a camper on occasion and driving around town...would do just fine with a PPE with 3 power settings. Plus I could buy an exhaust too...and still be under 1000.00. Am I correct on this? Cuz the 900.00 PPE has like 6 power settings...but I'll never go over 90 extra HP cuz of my stock allison.
if you dont wanna go over 90hp and use for towing, all you really need is diablo predator. cheaper too. what kinda exhuast are you getting?

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A silverline Single 409 Catback Stainless Steel. It seems like a not so cheap one...but a not so expensive one. So that's probably what I'm going to go with. Plus I'm not looking to make it really loud.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i would do a drop in air filter along with this home made mod http://www.pacificp.com/pdf/manuals/airbox_modification_LBZ.pdf ..good luck to ya..
and what did this do for you? Factual information please.

Do you really think PPE has some edge up on a corporation full of engineers? Please get your mind around the reality that the intake is not the bulk of intake restriction. Go look at what happens to pre-compressor airflow in the remainder of the intake.

And please, if you don't want to believe me, then get a pressure gauge, tap a connection just past the airbox, and another just before the compressor. The first will give you your airbox/element restriction, and the second will give you total intake restriction. The latter will be 3 times the former. YOU CAN"T MAKE GAINS THIS WAY. Suggesting people hack away at a $600 intake is irresponsible, when there is no data to back up the effort.

That article proves to me that PPE is brain dead. If it was to bare credibility, it would have at least some kind of dyno result or IAT chart.
you did read my disclaimer didn't you...
i never did any testing to see if its as good as a aftermarket CAI but i do know it helped out on my mileage and turbo lag so for whats its worth and for what it costs i did it and i figured whats the harm in letting other guys know about this cheap mod they can do to make what they have a little better and not have to spend 300+ dollars so CAI companies can stay in business...so if you want to call me cheap and tear me apart for suggesting then go ahead,i still saved 300+ dollars and have something that is better then stock but maybe not as good as the aftermarket CAI but good enough for 400rwhp...

·
2,934 Posts
I went with the turbo back 304ss silverline. I think taking tha cat off too really opened it up. That's just my opinion but I think the cat really holds it back. I've not had any codes yet with the cat gone and it with the ppe and my AEM workhorse really wakes up the LBZ. Goodluck on you decision.

Ryan

·
Received a Hummer
9,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's the difference between a reg. cat back and a turbo line?

·
2,934 Posts
Turbo back eliminates the Cat. Flows better and reduced EGT's is what they say. I don't have gauges so I can't confirm that for sure. But It does flow better and my turbo spools a lot quicker. The cat back system uses your cat and then you put the system on from there back.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The LBZ gives a pretty quiet exhaust tone. Even straight piped, no muffler, no cat, they aren't that loud and sound really nice. In the cab soundis minimal to no change until you really hammer on it.

The Diablo is a great value on the hp for dollar scale. And trouble free. I have yet to have a warranty issue with one.

The Edge can be troublesome, but this seems to be limited to certain trucks. Some trucks just don't play nice I guess. However, with the grouping of power and gauges, its a hard combo to beat for the price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And lets not forget the option of a cat back system with a cat delete pipe.....this lets you put the cat back in when you need to and lets you enjoy the ride the rest of the time!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts