Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New here, new to Duramax, buddy of mine swears by them and is pretty familiar (he's had an 02 and now an 07 with 300k)..
I am more knowledgable of the fords and dodges..
I have just got an 06 LBZ for my wife.. We just want to get it peppier with some better fuel economy. It will be her DD 80% town/20%hwy and maybe haul a load once every couple of months..

I am leaning towards an Edge CTS (with EGR sensor), S&B intake, and 4" turbo back exhaust.

What I am looking for is if anyone can tell me how difficult it is to reset the Edge if it ever does anything funny, if its as serious as calling a tow truck or just disconnecting the edge and restarting the truck.

Also was wanting to know if anybody here offers a package deal with the programmer/exhaust/intake/EGR sensor..
Thanks for any assistance you can offer..

·
saw what you did there
14,297 Posts
Check here

intakes aren't really that big of a deal for duramax... or at least that's my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks thunderlord.
I havent investigated the MAF volumes in the stock intake, but have seen here where many people have said that you dont need to worry about it on a LBZ, just figured (as in most cases) that if your gonna open up the exhaust you need to open up the intake. I find it interesting that chevy would have designed the intake for higher flow and then restrict the exhaust for a pre-DPF truck.. Previous owner half-assed it and cut out the muffler but not the cat, so we are gonna go ahead and open er up from the turbo to maximize effeciency..

·
Registered
315 Posts
for the most part the air intake on the lbz is pretty well made, i have heard that there is no real advantage in an aftermarket intake over the stock intake. they did a pretty good job there

·
Registered
46 Posts
My wife drives our 06 and I just put a edge standart cts on with 4" mbrp exhaust on two days ago and its awesome. Really wakes the truck up and improves fuel economy. When the edge programs, it saves the stock ecm configuaration so if you ever want to go back to stock you can. The cts screen is awesome as I uploaded family pics of our kids so she can glance over and see them when she drives. All the vendors are real close in price range, so basically pick someone that is close to where you live and let er fly.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
dont mod your wifes truck too much or she will be spankin that FORD. And you cant have that. BTW the stock intake is fine up to the 500ho area.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
We've got several packages available that can suit your needs. You'll need to think about what kind of exhaust you want, stainless or aluminized. But other than that, you're definitley on the right track. Her truck will be a runner with an Evo on it. They really work well on the dmaxes. Plus we also carry lots of must have's like fuel filters and stock air filters, WIF wrench, things of that nature.

Let me know if I can help. I'd be happy to get you a quote on whatever you'd like for her truck :) And I'm always around to answer any questions you might have whether you buy from us our not.

-Jesse

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
MBRP gets my vote for exhaust

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No DirtyMax, we're not going to allow her JapCrap deisel to outrun my "American" muscle.. lol..
That'd be like letting my buddies 4wd TT eclipse outrun my vette.. (wich, he did.. 4wd 600hp is stupid fast on 60ft).. But, he had to rebuild the motor after 8 passes, I drove mine home..
We are well familiar with "waking up" the beast.. Prior to us modding the ford her and the kids nicknamed it the "mammoth".. Once we woke it up she wasnt interested in driving the vette (or her jeep) anymore cuz it was much more exciting smoking (literally) stangs and camaros in a big honkin truck.
My ford is pushing 550hp/1100tq, 13.2qt/mile... Done mainly for the MPG increase, not necessarily for speed, but it is nice to have to pep there when you need it.
Yes, the touch screen displays are really nice, thats why I am not considering anything less.. Plus the wife insists that her truck gets the same cool stuff that mine has.. I'm also gonna be installing train horns as well..

Battsy, really interested to hear your MPG before and after the install.. Hand calculated, when you get a chance.

Greatly appreciate all the feedback, I'm not really a ford or chevy person (except when it comes to muscle cars cuz stangs have been cheap crap from day one), all the deisels had thier bad years/models/issues.. By the end of the day of shopping (for the trucks) I was anti-Ford.. we looked at (7) 6.0 fords and every one of them at MINIMUM had rear main seal leakage (one with as little as 60K miles).. 1 chevy, 1 dodge, and the dodge rode like a dually (deafeated the purpose for my wife).

·
Registered
13,927 Posts
No worries her Dmax won't hang with the Ford with a stock trans. But if you let her upgrade the trans you better look out. They are capable of 12.6 all day.

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It'll be pretty darn close though, just because of the weight advantage. Mid to low 13's are definitely possible on the stock trans, low 13's to very high 12's with just a transgo jr.

She might not keep up, but she sure as heck won't be far behind! The evo is a pretty darn capable tuner. You'll be suprised what it will do!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will glady give you some feedback as to mpg I am seeing, but here in MN we are on the crappy winter blend so the results wont be that accurate. I am right around 16-17 mixed driving with 305 55 20 mickey thompsons, optilube xpd in every tank, and just the torsion bars cranked 6 turns. I think thats pretty decent for the big, heavy tires but I really hope to see 19-20 once summer blend comes around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
ahhh, dirtymax.. I'm not here to start ford vs chevy, thats why I ended it with LOL... I am fully aware that the chevy will outrun the ford, its a lighter vehicle for starters.. BUT, it does have its weaknesses, for instance, the tranny.. To my surprise, because the allison tranny is one of the big selling points. But you guys are recommending modding it at 500 or more HP while the ford trannys appear to be good up to 700 or so.. Also depends on the driver and frequency of thrashing the drivetrain is gonna be subjected to..
Main thing is I jest all in good fun, not to put anybodys vehicle down...

Put it like this, if I REALLY felt the duramax drivetrain was POS, I would not have one in my possession. I'm really impressed with the durability it has given my buddy. I personally went with a Ford because at the time the 6.4 V2 (V1 had bugs to be worked out) drivetrain was getting rave reviews, and the interior was more comfortable than a dodge. If it would have been a gasser I was getting, chevy would have been my choice hands down cuz they ride like cadillac and have really comfortable interiors.. I just didnt know a whole lot about the duramax and the previous versions got a bad rap. My Ford hasnt given me any trouble, so I have nothing to complain about per se, but if it woulda been a 6.0 or 6.4V1, I'd be ragging hard on it..
Today, I would not recommend a 6.0 ford to anybody..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gr8tshot, the wife would be extremely pleased with a mid/low 13 truck.. I'd get tired of hearing it though, cuz shed constantly be messing with me about it.. Cost us roughly $2500 to get the ford there, looks like it'll only cost $16/1800 to get the chevy there.

Battsy, thats pretty damn good numbers, right now we are getting 13-15 (stock height toyo open country tires on american racing aluminum rims) around town.. summer deisel in south louisiana winter..

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
It depends on how she drives the truck, but I would bet you'd see right around a 2mpg gain from the tuner and exhaust. Thats a pretty common gain. Some see more, very few see much less.

I hope you're not planning on paying $16-1800 for just the tuner and exhaust :eek: I'm assuming thats with some other things in there too...

·
Vendor
3,397 Posts
The 6.4L is cheaper to get to a low 13 or high 12. A tuner and delete pipe is all you need as it looks like you already found out.:D With the Dmax, the trans will crap out, FAST so that needs to be addressed in order to run those kind of numbers which jacks the cost WAY up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
$16-1800 was a rough price check on intake, tuner (Edge CTS with EGR), exhaust..

gr8tshot - she'll prolly get the minimum.. I could get 16 round town in my ford, she'd get in it and start trying to race stangs and civics and my mpg would goto 12.. It was an amusing game cuz my boy would ride with her fussing at her that I was gonna be pissed cuz she's getting crappy mileage in my truck.. That the mods were for fuel efficiency not racing.. lol

Meyer - if I'm gonna start spraying stuff... It's alot cheaper to rebuild a 350/383 than a deisel any day... lol.. Thanks for the offer though.

DSTRB, thats what I dont get with the tranny.. I figured the Allison woulda been capable of handling more than the Ford before needing modding.. What does the tranny do anyway? Is it slippage? or rough shifting?

The spartan in my ford is not a box tuner, there's about 4 or 5 highly respected 6.4 powerstroke specific tuners and they change shift points and pressures in the tranny with the tunes..
I understand that the old juice/attitudes just kinda "adapted" the OEM curves for more power/efficiency/economy, but do the CTS/OBD systems not adjust the tranny as well? Do they also just "massage" the OEM parameters or do they go deeper than that?
See, with the DPF there is no point in using a "box" programmer (bullydog, edge, etc) cuz you gotta get "offroad" application in order to fully maximize your efficiency.. So for the ford it was a waste of money to go that route, had to go with a "custom" tuner for the "offroad" apps.
So, I find it interesting that the "box" tuners dont go deeper into the OEM adjustments and tweak everything for efficiency with the pre-DPF trucks..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts