Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i get a leveling kit and about 33in tires should i get a programmer to reset the computer? wont the larger tires throw off the speedometer or something? it will give me some hp and better gas mileage right?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yes, a tuner like the Diablosport Predator will correct for larger tires, which will bring your speedo and odo back to correct. This will also help your shifting a little.

The extra power CAN help produce better fuel mileage by using a more desirable timing and better fuel pressure, but often times this is offset by the shear fun of having that power available. Bottom line, if you baby it, mileage will come up, if you hammer it, mileage will stay the same or slightly drop. Takes fuel to make power.

Bang for the buck, the Diablosport is about the best bet.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i agree with Diesalnut.also look at the PPE tuners but the best for the buck is the Diablo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and is this a programer that i can plug in and do all of the stuff myself or should i take it to a mechanic becuase i have no experience with something like this.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Plug into the OBDII connector under the dash and follow the directions on the screen. Very simple, anyone can do it.

Keep the questions coming!:drink

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
yep thats all you do but the one thing you wanna watch is don't do anything that wold make it try and comnicate to the computer such as opening and closing the doors and having the radio going and watch that no one sits in the passenger site since they have a air bag sensor in the seat..

·
Registered
275 Posts
is it done with the engine off or running?

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
all programmers are tuned with the engined turned off but the key in on postion...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Yes, and you may have to pull 3 fuses. Kinda a nusines, but life with a GM. You will have to pull the fuse for the info center, radio, and radio amp if memory serves. . . . . .

And like Tyrboyz said, just let the truck be while it tunes. Doesn't take but about 5-7 minutes I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts