Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you saw in the exterior section I have been planning on making a bumper guard/winch mount. All the materials came in and I started building yesterday. I cut the 60° angle on a vertical, lateral pressure band saw, I made it easier on myself by just marking the tubing from one end and cutting it in half rather than trying to make 2 cuts.

For the 30° shelled ends to accept the horizontal bar I used a 1.5" rough cut endmill on the bridgeport. I put a 20° and 10° parallel on each side and used an edgefinder to center the vice with the tubing clamped and then used the edgefinder to center the spindle at the exact tip of the tubing. I then cut in half the diameter of the tube (.75") using a DRO.

I had already slotted the mounting plates but I needed to have the bars on a 20° forward angle. Rather than try to mess with sine bars and clamps and other shit I surface ground .010" down and 1.5" across to locate the bars.

I then prepped the ends for welding with a nice little bevel and then welded them up. This is where I am so far, not bad for about 2 hours of work so far.

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
sub'd

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hey guys sorry for the delay, things got busy around the shop so I havent had much spare time to do much more, I do have the cross bar welded up, I also have the vertical bars marked for cutting as well as the top plate cut. I am using .125 4340 CrMo plate, I will be reinforcing with 2.5^2 (2^2 id) x .25 diamonds in a honeycomb type pattern, should stiffen that bitch up good n plenty. I really wanted to be sure that things would be symmetrical so 2 of the diamonds will actually be used to line up the verticals as well...

·
Oh...... Squirrel!
24,083 Posts

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ok did some more work today after work, got the top plate almost done here are some pics with the cross bar welded up:

The other day I cut some .25 wall 2.5 od box tubing on the saw, it wasnt the most accurate way but it will do for this. The plate is 6 x 17.75 x .125 4340 steel, its some strong stuff, but I want it to be stronger.

I first positioned the 2 outer squares that would line up the round tubing with previously made marks, centers are 2.75 x 2:

After I tacked the first 2 I added the rest of them and welded around the od:

The rigidity has been greatly increased with this addition. Next is to face all the piece to the same height and then weld them together to make a solid chain. This is where the real strength will come from as it can still deflect under stress still. Then its just a matter of shelling the 2 verticals and welding them to the plate and then the cross bar. I will then also add the "D" rings and decide if I want to put some horizontal supports from the bumper mounts of original tow hook mounts. To be continued...

FYI, the helmet is a miller elite hood with digital elite optics...big bucks but well worth it!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
that looks sweet props for taking your time and doing it right

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks bud, i was going to face it tonight but the CNC next to me was off and I didnt feel like waiting for it to do the warmup cycle and whatnot...all 4 bridgeports were in use so that was a no go too lol... :drink

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its done and on the truck...pics to follow

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
:poke[1]:How long do we have to wait, i need pics now lol!? it looks good so far!

·
Hang it!...Fire!
4,244 Posts
xxxx2

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ill get some tonight, then better ones in the morning :D

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
ok here are some crappy pics at night with my phone...damn license plate is too reflective lol

d rings are tig welded autogenus then capped for extra strength.

Had to mig weld the vertical bars to the horizontals as it was just easier to do it at home to get it straight. Primed and then coated with por15...that shit is nice

ill get some better ones in the morning :D

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
so it's kind of like a small bull bar..I wonder how strong it is..

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so it's kind of like a small bull bar..I wonder how strong it is..
its all heavy duty crap, i hope i never have to find out...i might chain to a tree though to find out...the bolts will probably shear first tho.

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
here are some daytime pics:

i cant believe how flat that plate stayed during welding...its not totally flat but for this purpose its flat lol

looking down, you can see the compound angle i put on the diagonal bars in this pic

here is the frame interface, i used grade 8 bolts with grade 8 nylock nuts, i was a little nervous about fitment but everything just slid right into place and is rock solid.

drove almost 100 miles today and no vibrations or anything, bolts are still tight. i am still debating on whether to put horizontal braces from the frame to the guard just for extra piece of mind, im thinking about using the extra 4340 plate and doubling it up to make 1/4" x 1 x ? bar...we shall see. thanks for following guys!

·
Hot Rod Photographer
154 Posts
So the squares are for strength? Looks good I like it. Do you think you could put a winch on that?

·
Reign in Blood
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah the squares are just for extra piece of mind, i don't doubt i could pull with this as is. i researched bolt hole patterns and i am fine with that. the tubes are .120 wall and the interface plates are 3/8". The welds on them are full penetration root and capped. BUT, i really think i should add some braces to spread the load out some. if i do it will be up on the horizontal bars because that is my "weak" point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts