Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i've searched the forums a few times and can't find anything on propane injection, so if i'm missing something let me know. if not...

i want to put propane injection on my 04.5 LLY. does anyone have any experience with it? likes, complaints, best one to use, etc. thanx.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i know of only one guy that did it and he loves it but with a tuner(edge set at 150hp)and the propane his tranny only lasted 15k miles..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanx for the info. i'll be upgrading my tranny soon with a Suncoast TC and TransGo shift kit, and then later once i'm in the higher-HP range, i plan on a full Suncoast beefed-up transmission.

·
Diesel Addict
7,754 Posts
i know he gained roughly 2mpg doing the pane so it is worth it but i'm dragging my feet and i plan on doing it some time..

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have heard more bad than good about it.. i was really thinking about it also, but i will do a trans upgrade if i ever do install it.. for now im goona try to make my goal of 500hp without juice... hopefully within the next year or two... i work on the river so its easy for me to save cash... correct me if i am wrong.. doesnt the injection of propane cause a disturbance in the flow of air into your engine... wouldnt that cause it to run rich?

·
Registered
3 Posts
diesel newbie

I've been thinking about this one too. As far as I know, this is more of a performance upgrade than an economical one. It should improve your mileage, but you have add in the fact you're using propane as well. I'm not sure how much propane you would use, but I'm not sure the amount of mileage increased (2 mpg or so) would offset the cost of the propane you will use.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The key word to associate with propane is Detonation. Propane has a much lower flash point than diesel. When you are using a chip to make hp you are advancing the injection timing. Now you are taking propane and injecting it. As soon as it hits the cylinder it is looking to burn. This advances the timing even further. What you can end up with is detonation which is hard on the tops of the pistons and head gaskets. I have seen lots of bad. Sure you will get some people that say that it runs fine, but if you look around there is going to be some burnt motors. Water meth is much safer to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts