Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace my block heater on my LLY and figured I might as well replace the coolant as well. I have never changed the coolant in a duramax. How much do these trucks hold? Just want to know what size drain pan and how much coolant to add afterwards. I live in Michigan and plan on using the premixed 50/50 dexcool. Any special procedures for achieving the correct level when refilling? I’m aware of where the bleeder bolt is. Any info is appreciated!

·
Registered
246 Posts
It holds a whopping 6 gallons or there abouts. Im not sure how much you will recover (catch). I did my water pump on my truck and bought 3 gallons thinking thats all i needed. Not true, I just filled back up to the seam in the Dgas bottle and it will burp for a few days of driving. Meaning it will go down up until about 5 or 6 good start up and drives....If that makes sense.

I hope this helps. I have drained and filled quite a few times in the past year.....Water pump, injectors, dgas bottle replacement, blown hose replacement......

·
Registered
246 Posts
Perfect, I drain from the bottom hose usually. I put it in a 5 gallon HD bucket, my truck has a 4" lift so it seems to fit good right under the lower hose. It will catch about 4 gallons. The rest spilled or stayed in the truck.

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts