Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen people talk on here about whether to delete or not but most of those threads date back to 2014 or even earlier before deleted tunes and discussion of deleting trucks was looked down upon. Now in 2020 things are a bit different. As the title says, just looking for opinions on whether it’s a good idea to delete my LML at this time? I had every intention of doing this but now thinking of the negatives. Curious how many people recently acquiring LMLs or now getting to the time when the warranty is out are still deleting.
I’m in Michigan so no emissions testing currently but no idea how fast that could change and if it did how I would be affected and what I’d have to change if the truck was deleted.
I have a 2016 LML with 83k looking to do exhaust, lift pump, tuning, and at this point just shutting off EGR with tuning and a blocker plate if recommended. No plans to fully remove the EGR at this point.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I deleted my lml about 12000 miles ago and love it couldn’t be happier

·
Registered
2017 GMC Denali 2500HD, 3.5" Rough Country Lift, 305/55R20 Yokohama Geolandar A/T
942 Posts
The pro's are a lot of things. Engine life, efficiency, fewer parts that could fail and put you into limp mode. The trucks run a lot better after weight loss surgery, and you get the exhaust noise as a side benefit.

The cons are a lot of things too. Upfront cost is something to consider. Passing emissions checks is also something to look at. I also live in Michigan and am choosing to not delete my L5P because of the governor's recent EO saying we'd be carbon neutral by 2035 or whatever. I have a feeling we'll be seeing safety and smog checks as part of that in the near future. To pass those checks we would need to put our vehicles back to stock form. To me it's not worth the hassle anymore. I miss the tuned exhaust and turbo noise, though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve wondered about the governors future actions after seeing what she’s recently done. If I do decide to delete, I’ll keep the parts necessary to go back to stock.
Going back and forth between stock and deleted to get past emissions testing is not worth the hassle. I’d run it deleted as long as I could then put it back on and leave it

·
Registered
476 Posts
On a truck in the 10 year old range but yours is a 16-----I would not worry a whole lot about it. Not worth that much anyway. Go ahead and have some fun with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yep just acquired my 2010 LMM bone stock with 190k on it. Ran it for a year stock while I contemplated, and finally took some weight off with a new exhaust. 2 months now and have no regrets, plus truck runs fantastic with some tuning. Next is EGR when I feel like bloodying my knuckles a bit. That LMM was quite the difference from my 270k LB7. That ol girl still had plenty of life left too ran like a swiss watch. There are some people concerned about DEC here in NY ticketing people. Unless you are bellarin through town or blowin black smoke they really don't bother you. Of course, its my personal opinion.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the event that a guy chooses to delete a 15-16 LML, what procedures/modifications/changes (what ever you want to call them) would be a good idea to do at the time of deleting?
Say you went rather basic and got custom tuning, exhaust with new down pipe, and a lift pump to help the cp4 until possibly later doing a cp3 swap.
I’ve heard about but not familiar with the following and is it recommended or necessary??
  • EGR blocker plate even when egr is shut off by tuning
  • PCV reroute (what is needed for this?)
  • DEF tank removal (or just leave it?)
  • any thing else?
I’d want to do everything at once in a weekend if possible rather than coming back for more little mods here and there.
Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
In the event that a guy chooses to delete a 15-16 LML, what procedures/modifications/changes (what ever you want to call them) would be a good idea to do at the time of deleting?
Say you went rather basic and got custom tuning, exhaust with new down pipe, and a lift pump to help the cp4 until possibly later doing a cp3 swap.
I’ve heard about but not familiar with the following and is it recommended or necessary??
  • any thing else?
I’d want to do everything at once in a weekend if possible rather than coming back for more little mods here and there.
Thanks
Have you looked into emissions compliant tunes? This is the future. Good luck finding delete tuners.
Take the money you would spend on deleting and invest in a quality scan tool. Then you can probably diagnose and fix any problem with the vehicle. You should have plenty of money left to buy any part you would ever need to keep it running.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Have you looked into emissions compliant tunes? This is the future. Good luck finding delete tuners.
Take the money you would spend on deleting and invest in a quality scan tool. Then you can probably diagnose and fix any problem with the vehicle. You should have plenty of money left to buy any part you would ever need to keep it running.
plenty of money left to fix it? Yeah ok, $3300 for EGR, after fixing it 3 or 4 times under warranty, replaced the whole exhaust system twice under warranty, out of warranty, $3500. I wouldn’t have one of these trucks out of warranty without permanent fixes

·
Registered
34 Posts
  • any thing else?
Thanks
That's the thing, my brother wants to do the same deal on his 16. I did my 08 before I sold it last year. He's installed a lift pump and about to do the PCV reroute. But having a hard time finding exhaust and stuff to delete everything. The place I bought mine doesn't sell delete exhaust or anything anymore.

And you looked where you can even buy it anymore?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts