Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 07 classic come with the PTO gear behind the 6 bolt pto plate? I've read that some years do and some don't, just didn't specify which ones. I'm looking at runnin a generator from the trans. I found a few good setups for a decent price, but if it doesn't have the gear.... It's horrible the factory left out a $30 part, and to have it installed it's over $1000...... Any Help??

·
Registered
926 Posts
No, it does not have one, what kind of generator, real power?

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
It has an exciter ring instead of a PTO gear, the PTO gear was discontinued after the LB7 or 03 model year cant remember.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
so are you saying my truck has it? what are these generators youre talking about? a link to more info would be awesome!

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
your truck has a PTO Gear.

The OP is wanting to run a generator off of the PTO gear, possibly to provide 120v power I would assume.

·
VAGITARIAN :)
7,336 Posts
Yeah^^^.for the guy wanting to know more,there are all sorts of PTO driven stuff,gen sets,winches,etc. there is all kind of stuff you can run if you have PTO on hand..:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hmm very interesting. do the 02 models have the pto gear? this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time. I run boats and run several ptos off the allison marine gears. I would also like to check out a link to a generator if anyone has one.

·
DuramaxForum Veteran
4,506 Posts
yes it does.

There isnt much room though. Passenger side has the exhaust and drivers side has the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
41 Posts
found this site http://http://www.townlineequipmentsales.com/pto_generators.htmwhich has a genset that bolts right inside the frame rails. looks like a pretty sweet set up. I wouldn't mind finding a hydraulic pump set but then id have to make a spot for a resevoir and run hoses etc. maybe better off using electric motors for winching and such.

·
7,336 Posts
depends how much power you need

·
Registered
41 Posts
well if you're like me, you can never have enough power! just kidding. but hydraulic is hard to beat, although for the trouble of the installation and cost (I would go stainless hydraulic lines) electric is just probably more efficient

·
7,336 Posts
yeah,easier set up also,you can always add a battery if you need with elect.......dude,do you really need PTO power:rof??
Probably 5-10% of guys actually need that,I know I use my truck but have ZERO use for a PTO attachment:drink

·
Registered
41 Posts
well i do a lot of moose hunting and elk and sometimes buffalo so I could use an extra winch out back for hauling a moose out of the bush. and then when we're skinning out our animals back at camp it would nice to have some flood lights so we're not skinning in the dark with little piss lights in grizzly country. also if I had a genset I could run a mobile freezer/cooler for bringing the meat back home on the 1000 mile trip back. I think I can make do without it of course, as I do now, but hey it would be nice.

·
7,336 Posts
cool......i hear ya!:rockin

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
i have ZERO need for a PTO but it would sure be more awesome than a power convertor :D

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
But at least you can use your inverter while driving, with a PTO you can and will burn up either your assecory your running or the PTO assy. it's self by running them on down the road. Our dump truck drivers are not the smartest around. :booboo

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think it would be an interesting Idea for sure, Anybody have one on there truck?

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
not to mention the PTO is probably a lot pricier, that link above doesnt have a price so im gonna stick with the "if you have to ask you cant afford it" on that
and the damn thing weighs nearly 200lbs, definitely wouldnt want to install by myself

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
They discontinued the PTO gear in all trucks when the LLY's came out in 2004.5. The only trucks that came/come with it from 2004.5+ are the cab/chassis trucks. The current cab/chassis trucks still have the PTO gear.

Basically all LB7's have the PTO gear.

30 dollar part how do you figure that? No, try ~200+ dollar part. Considering how few people actually use the PTO on the allison in the pickup trucks...it makes zero sense to spend the extra money to put it in all the trucks.

People are 100x more likely to use it if they buy a cab/chassis truck (because theyre probably gonna put a dump bed or something that needs the PTO feature), which is why it still comes in the current cab/chassis trucks.

Think about it...

ben

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have an invertor thats 120 volts but the genset would push out 240 volts which would be able to run a freezer set up that I would like. as far as driving around with it on, well obviously that would not fare well as the gen set runs 130% of engine speed. basically its meant to be idling. however I think you would be fine at highway speed doing 1500-1800 rpm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts