Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

New to the forum, and just bought my first diesel a few months ago. Still haven't quite figured out everything that has been done to it yet, but slowly figuring it out as I go and learning all about diesels in the meantime. The P/O knew absolutely nothing about it, and from what I've seen so far knew nothing about vehicles whatsoever.

Apart from the numerous problems that it came with, (seized calipers a week after I bought it, dreaded P003A code comes in every few days, and plenty of other things) I was doing the transmission cooler lines and when I pulled the intercooler tube out to get at the rad fittings, I happened to look down the tube. There was a lot of oil in there. I don't mean it was coated on the tube, but like an actual puddle of brown oil/water mix looking gunk sitting on the bottom (see pictures). After heavily researching the PCV reroute, it looks like most people report just a film of oil on the pipe and maybe some drips in there, mostly on the drivers side right off the turbo. I haven't seen anything quite like this. The pipe coming from the turbo is coated in oil which I'm guessing is from the PCV, but is there some other issue going on here? Will cleaning it out and doing the PCV reroute solve this? Tell me what you think!
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Rim Gas

2006 LBZ, 260000 KM, 4" exhaust. EGR has not been deleted.

·
Registered
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
100 Posts
I had the same issue when taking apart everything for a head gasket job. I’m assuming it’s probably from pcv issues. I’m doing the reroute, and I suggest the same. Probably will fix this for you. I’m sure those with more experience and knowledge will tell you if that is correct.
Edit***
I didn’t see the picture clearly until now. That oil is definitely not just oil. 😬

·
Registered
696 Posts
Looks kind of milky. What does the oil on the dipstick look like? Have you changed the oil yet? How did it look? If not, Might be worth the piece of mind to send a sample off for analysis when you do.

Could be a sign of head gasket issue if what you say about the previous owner's knowledge / care of the truck is true.

For your sake I hope not. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sure others will post their thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah that was my fear. Oil on the dipstick looks okay, haven't gotten to changing it yet, but will be doing that hopefully in the next day or so. The P/O said he just did it, but "didn't know how" :rolleyes: to reset the oil life and fuel filter. I'd like to throw rotella in it and have a baseline anyway. I haven't noticed any white smoke or coolant smells. I did top the coolant up slightly when I first bought it. I'll definitely send it away to get tested and checked.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
696 Posts
There are some tale tale signs of a possible head gasket problem - search on here for them to ease your mind or confirm.

IIRC something about a hard upper radiator hose after cooling off - I could have that mixed up though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just did a quick search after you mentioned that. I'll do some more research/searching and testing. Fingers crossed it isn't head gaskets. The good thing is I have plenty of time as I'm off on parental leave, but financially that would suck lol.

·
Registered
2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD
100 Posts
I just did a quick search after you mentioned that. I'll do some more research/searching and testing. Fingers crossed it isn't head gaskets. The good thing is I have plenty of time as I'm off on parental leave, but financially that would suck lol.
If you do it yourself you’ll save a bunch, if it’s a head gasket. If it does end up being that let me know I can give you an idea on cost as I’m doing that right now.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Blowby is circulated back into the intake system to be re-burned and that blowby consists of air and oil vapor. Some of it separates out and ends up collecting in the intercooler. Use a rag and soak up the oil in your intercooler. See if it comes back after the next oil change. I purchased my truck with 51K miles and it had oil in the intercooler even at that mileage. Don't fret over this.

Reactions: BoiseRob

·
Registered
696 Posts
Mine had a little bit of dark colored oil in it when I opened it up with about 300k miles.

It was not nearly as much nor was it milky looking like the second pic.

Subbed to hear the final results.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
OP - what motor do you have and how many miles?

Should def look in to the PCV reroute either way but hopefully that milky appearance is just from the view of the camera. Throw a shop towel in ans soak up what you see first and agreed check back at your next oil change. No colored smoke or odor is a good start

·
Registered
2007 GMC Sierra LBZ
2,118 Posts
I’d be very concerned if i found that on my truck. No way should that oil look that way. How long was the truck sitting when you checked the oil via post #4? If truck was sitting for few days oil might look good on the dipstick but have a puddle of water at bottom of pan. Just my 2¢

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I THINK that the milky appearance if the oil in the CAC was due to the water vapor attached to the oil droplets carried by the blowby condensing n the CAC. The CAC received hot air and cools it, thence the milky appearance. Changing engine oil will likely not make a difference. Where you live would probably make a LOT of difference, say hot muggy Alabama, Florida, etc.

Reactions: brownd and BoiseRob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took it for a long run today, and pushed it hard. I know it's not the same as towing a heavy load, but it was the best I could do for now. Felt the rad hoses and they were all soft while running and a few hours after so that gives me some piece of mind. Also marked the coolant level, and checked the overflow tube which was bone dry.

Thanks Ron, I'll clean er up and check up with it next change.

Thanks for the info everyone, really appreciate it.
I’d be very concerned if i found that on my truck. No way should that oil look that way. How long was the truck sitting when you checked the oil via post #4? If truck was sitting for few days oil might look good on the dipstick but have a puddle of water at bottom of pan. Just my 2¢
It was only sitting for maybe an hour or so after a long hard drive. Felt the rad hoses and they were soft while running, and after a few hours being shut own I checked again, they were still soft. Doing an oil change in an hour or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I THINK that the milky appearance if the oil in the CAC was due to the water vapor attached to the oil droplets carried by the blowby condensing n the CAC. The CAC received hot air and cools it, thence the milky appearance. Changing engine oil will likely not make a difference. Where you live would probably make a LOT of difference, say hot muggy Alabama, Florida, etc.
Thanks Ron, I'll clean er up today when I do an oil change and check it again next change. That makes sense from what I've researched he'd so far. I'm ordering the pieces for a PCV reroute as well. I'm in Southern BC, currently only -5 this week, but been around -15 or 20 last few weeks so no hot muggy weather here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Changed the oil and cleaned up the intercooler pipe. There wasn't as much oil there as it looked like, 1 or 2 paper towels soaked most of it up. There were no signs of water or coolant in the oil, but it was pretty black. Learned a valuable lesson while doing it though. REMOVE THE SKIDPLATE. It makes a huge mess otherwise. Plan on doing the PCV reroute next.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts