Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Silverado LB7 that doesn't want to keep the anti-freeze down. For some reason when I top it off (because that annoying light will stay on) it will hold it for a little while (usually no more than 5 miles) and then pukes some of it out causing the low coolant light to come back on. I have removed the thermostats and replaced the overflow cap but still no luck. I do have plans on replacing the radiator but I don't think that is going to stop it either. Does anyone have any ideas? I haven't put a pressure gage on it yet to see what it is pressuring up to but I know it's atleast 15 psi and it will hold the pressure for a long time after the truck has been shut off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:help

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
maybe a headgasket or injector cup?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about that but my water and oil are not mixing and the injectors haven't been touched. Could it possibly be anything else?

·
Registered
536 Posts
injector cups can crack and sometimes leak compression into the coolant and it will cause it to over pressure and blow coolant out..

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
you can have a bad headgasket and not mix coolant and oil on a diesel.

·
Registered
536 Posts
all depends on where the hg blow to i guess

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I may need to check my hg's and see what's up. I'm not sure about the upper hose being hard in the morning, haven't checked that one yet.

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
if it is hard in the morning...it is really pointing at HGs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
just do a coolant pressure check and that should give u idea ....

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
Personally if I had a bad HG I would probably change my injectors and cups at the same time if I could scrounge up the money.

·
Registered
536 Posts
x2 while your already that deep in the motor

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
dont you have to pull the injectors out of the head anyway when pulling the head? I would think a bad cup would come out with the injector.

·
Premium Member
3,052 Posts
yes u have to pull the injector before u pull the head well u dont have to but its easyer

1 - 20 of 30 Posts